Did Jesus send his thug disciples to steal?

Luke 19:29-34 "[Jesus] sent two of his disciples, Saying, Go ye into the village . . . ye shall find a colt tied, whereon yet never man sat: loose him, and bring him hither. And if any man ask you, Why do ye loose him? thus shall ye say unto him, Because the Lord hath need of him. . . . And as they were loosing the colt, the owners thereof said unto them, Why loose ye the colt? And they said, The Lord hath need of him."

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 10:49 AM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Religious Debate

• thug disciples? lol...reaching. 

maybe Heaven IS Gangster's Paradise. i just got a visual of a few long-haired hippies in jesus-shoes, walking low and slow, with their robes draped low, behind their knees...so their underoos would show. thanks for the funny! LOL!

dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:30 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Well that depends on if they took the colt back when they were done, though one must admit that they should have obtained the owners permission, but perhaps the owners had given permission to Jesus in the past. It does not say the owners protested after the disciples stated the lord had need of the colt. Taking into accoutn history as well communities often shared certain items through bartering such as using a horse for the afternoon for shoeing it, or for a loaf of bread, etc.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:56 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• well seeing as it never says "but the colt's owners did not want them to take it" im going w/ the owners being okay w/ it. im sure it was returned. and in Mark 11:6 it even says that the owners let them take the colt. doesnt sound like stealing to me.

and thanks for the ever subtle "thug" reference...got a good eye roll & sigh/laugh out of it.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:16 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Mark 11:3 "If anyone asks you, 'Why are you doing this?' tell him, ' The Lord needs it and will send it back here shortly.'"
    Same story, different guy telling the story. It goes on to say that people standing there asked the deciples why they were unting the colt and when the deciples tol them the lord need to borrow it they said it was fine.

(my own words) The owners were not unwilling to help the Lord. This was the colt that Jesus rode into the triumphal entry so I would imagine the owners telling everyone "See that donkey he's on? Thats mine" and feeling all special.
    sissy15

Answer by sissy15 at 12:40 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I think you are reading into the text something that is not there. Can you deny that your title line is meant to create an uproar here? Thug disciples? Really?? You don't believe. Okay - we get that. Even when I was an atheist years ago, I don't remember being driven to constantly provoke arguments with Christians. I am wondering about your motive.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 4:24 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

•      Our Lord would Never steal anything!  The Word says, Hebrews 4:15For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without Sin.    If he had stolen anything, God couldn't have said, "He was without sin?"

Christ had made many followers & Friends.  He simply had, Prearranged the colt & the room where they ate the Last Supper.  It amazes me how far people will go to try to disprove our Lord's Sacrafice for us! 

turtldov

Answer by turtldov at 12:18 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• No probably just borrowed it...I'm sure the animal got returned to the owner....besides if the guy was concerned I'm sure there was something he could have done to stop them from taking it...considering the disciples were strangers to the town wereas he wasn't and being a stranger when it came down to those kinds of situations usually made you the one in the wrong...
    ramita

Answer by ramita at 12:21 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• hmmm I never paid much attention to this. I am sure there is a likely interpretation we will get but in reading it flat out without further study I would say pretty much yes
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 10:57 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Some people say he took the donkey/colt on purpose to fulfil Zechariah 9:9.

IhartU

Comment by IhartU (original poster) at 11:00 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• In that culture they didn't/don't have the same sort of possessiveness that we do. Sure, the colt did belong to someone, but borrowing something was the norm as long as it was returned bathed, fed, shooed, or someone to that sort. It also doesn't say that Yeshua(Jesus) didn't prearrange the use. Maybe he told his apostles to say "The Lord needs it" so that the owner knew it wasn't someone else stealing it, and just verifying that is was the Lord, whom he'd alreayd made arrangements with.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 7:13 PM on Apr. 27, 2011