Would YOU approve for your baby to get an MRI or would you just wait?

I am so torn on this.
My 7 month old baby is scheduled for an MRI on May 9th.
He was born with a sacral dimple...its not to the extreme that is shown here on the internet. When he was just a cell and it split in two to begin forming the baby he is..a part didnt completley close.So he has what looks like an "extra butt hole" (sorry, best way I could describe it). The thing is..you can't see the floor of it..so we don't know if that tiny hole pockets in deeper and goes into his spine.
So we've got this scheduled MRI..where he will have to be sedated.He will be knocked out cold.
The thing is..if they do find out something is wrong..its not like it would be correctible anyway..it would pretty much be a matter of knowing that something indeed is not formed correctly.
I am torn because I am so afraid of having him sedated.Just last year a 13 year old girl was sedated for a simple dental procedure and she never woke up, she passed away. They said on the news..well..its a known fact that there is a percentage of death with sedation. Parents have to sign a waiver form to allow their children to be sedated.
How can I sign that? I mean..I know for the most part...everyone is fine with sedation. But what if my baby is one of the percentage that is not.And for what? Just to KNOW that something is wrong?
I just don't know.I am so confused on this.My dh agrees with me..and he's confused too..but leaving the final decision up to me.
What would YOU do in this case if this were your child?

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 10:56 AM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i have had to make this decision before and i chose yes. my daughter was only 4 months old at the time and had just suffered a brain injury. she was mildly sedated and came out of the MRI just fine. the hardest part was me not being able to stay with her until she was finished with the MRI.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:58 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I know it's hard. My daughter had several MRIs before her first birthday and she had to be sedated each time. In our case, we needed to see the extent of the possible problem(s) in her brain earlier rather than later or not at all. It was scary but it all worked out.

Is there ANYTHING to be gained by knowing exactly the degree of the abnormality?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• So the outcome is the same with or without the MRI? If that was the case, I would opt out of it until he was older.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:02 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Thats something I need to discuss again with the doctor..he was very inclear on the last visit...if ANYTHING could be gained by knowing how bad it is or isnt. I know I'm driving that office nuts...but I'm waiting on a call back today from them.
    kimberlyinberea

Comment by kimberlyinberea (original poster) at 11:03 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• i should add, after reading your post more thoroughly, it was necessary to have the MRI done in her case. we needed to know the extent of the damage. i suppose if the outcome wasn't going to change/solve anything, i would not have had it done.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:04 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• One of my twins had to have an MRI earlier this year
    They actually laid her on the table and used this thing that looked like
    A swaddleing blanket and wrapped her to the table like a burrito.
    Then they put heron the tube and projected pictures in it to get
    Her attention. She went through the whole thing
    Without being sedated you should ask if something like this
    Is an option for you. I was told prior to the appt she would be
    Sedated but when I got there the nurse said they would try
    This way first and if it didn't work they would have to sedate.
    You should also ask if just twilight sleep is possible that wAy the baby
    Will be calm but not all the way out which will
    Put u a little more at ease
    luvmy4grls

Answer by luvmy4grls at 11:09 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• my daughter was just released from the NICU last friday.. they do MRI's before discharge.. I was fine with it cause she has an infection of the brain and i wanted to know if it got worse or not...... I got to see the pictures from the MRI.... found that her brain is mostly fluids :/ I as sad as that is. I would rather know, then wonder.... but if it was a CT scan.. then i would say no like the dr.s did.. cause that exposes then to alot of radiation...
    mommyoftristan

Answer by mommyoftristan at 11:13 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• My youngest son had to have a procedure that involved sedation at 6 months, and an MRI last year at 5, also fully sedated. The good news is that he did extremely well and had no problems with the sedation what so ever. He did wake up a bit grouchy and annoyed the first time.

The doctor explained the risk of the sedation was equal to an hour's worth of driving in the car, something we all tend to do without thinking about.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:16 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• my dd now 1 has beed sedated twice 1time for an MRI for seizures and the other time for tubes with her MRI she was like 3 or 4 months
    bree_gabys_mom

Answer by bree_gabys_mom at 2:55 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• It sounds like you may need a second opinion. If your doctor is unclear then you have to find a way to get more information that you need to be able to make an informed decision. My brother had two brain surgeries and lots of MRI's before his first birthday... He never had an issue with sedation. Good luck! That is a really hard choice. I'll keep you and your little one in my prayers.
    karischub

Answer by karischub at 8:18 PM on Apr. 27, 2011