Sending kids to bed without dinner

I have just about the UNpickiest kid ever to walk this earth. She loves all veggies, meats, and any other food you can think of. THe kid eats pig feet and brussel sprouts. She has never once complained about what was served. However, if she is misbehaving at the dinner table I will make her leave until she gets herself straight. The other day she was just being horrible so I made her go to bed after about two bites of dinner.

Is this something you would do?

Shaken1976

Asked by Shaken1976 at 11:26 AM on Apr. 27, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I probably won't, but I haven't gotten to that stage yet so my opinion may change.
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 11:27 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• No way, dinner first and punish later.

Answer by older at 11:28 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I was never able to to do it, i always gave in in the end, took away everything else and made him eat the rest of his dinner and straight to bed........but for some reason i couldn't bring myself to let him go hungry.
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 11:28 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• A child is not going to starve to death if they miss one meal, but it might have a huge impact on their attitude. I would do the same thing if the behavior warranted it.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:28 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• no because it's not healthy. it weakens their metabolism. food is the body's fuel. w/o it we cannot function properly and that is even more unhealthy to a growing child. i'd take away privileges, not compromise their health
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 11:29 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Not me. I would take away previledges before dinner. Do you know what its like to go to bed hungry, tummy grawling, that sick feeling??? Why would you do that.?
    kkbird

Answer by kkbird at 11:30 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I had to last night. he was not eating, playing with his food, after an hour of trying to recorrect.. that was enough. his food got thrown away. and he didn't get a snack before bed.. I refuse to make dinner time a life long battle -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:30 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• scott-mom they will not starve to death because the body can live 2 weeks in starvation before giving up, however that doesn't make missing meals healthy for anyone at any age
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 11:31 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Why would I do that?? Because she had fair warning that it was going to happen if the attitude did not change. She kept up with how she was behaving and I followed through. It was her choice.
    Shaken1976

Comment by Shaken1976 (original poster) at 11:31 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• in this case - no, i would not send her to bed hungry. she would finish her meal, and go straight to bed AFTER she finished, if she were giving me attitude.

however, when it comes to being picky, they will go to bed hungry. im not a short order cook, so they either have to try what i make, and if they dont like it they get a Pb&J, or they can go to bed hungry if they don't want to try it. they wont' starve overnight.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:32 AM on Apr. 27, 2011