I am severely anemic, My body did not absorb the iron pills subscribed by my doctor and worse when I did take them I would end up laying in bed all day from a terrible stomach ache. What else can I do?? I eat plenty of foods rich in iron yet I am still having troubles :(

I have been anemic for about 9 years, since I got pregnant with my 1st daughter (I have had 4 children) , my iron is so low the doctor said I would need a blood transfusion if I started having shortness of breath and feeling dizzy. I am not one to complain and I am very stubborn, however this whole anemia gets worse at times and I can barely get out of bed. It especially worsens the day or 2 right before my period. As I said before taking the iron supplement does nothing but give me a stomach ache and thus I lay down till it goes away.. it pretty much defeats the whole purpose on trying to fix this cause what I am trying to overcome is fatigue. My doctor also told me my body has adapted to having extremely low iron I think I am a 7 and sometimes dip to a 6, So it really only effects me when it dips lower... anyone else having or had this problem and how can I fix it? Thanks :)

nichette

Asked by nichette at 11:36 AM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Health

• I take mine before bed at night so I don't notice it in my sleep and I am fine when I wake up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Have you tried liquid iron?? That's what they gave my dd who had problems with the pill form.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 11:39 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Vitamin C helps your body absorb iron. Eat/drink more citrus, especially after eating something with iron.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 11:39 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Take your iron with vitamin C and avoid calcium when you take it. It is important that you get your calcium, just do it on the other end of the day. Vitamin C Helps you absorb the iron.

OH! And boost your fiber.

GL!
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 11:41 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Try cooking on a cast iron skillet(it pulls the iron out of the pan). Vitamin C also gelp with your iron intake(has something to do with your body conversion). What kind of food are you eating?
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 11:41 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Cook with cast iron pots and pans.They are non stick youll get the iron you need and you'll get a good work out when using.HAHA they are heavy
    millertribe08

Answer by millertribe08 at 11:44 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Has your doctor run a full blood panel, checking vit. D and B12, and iron capacity as well as levels? If not, ask for this! It's not standard bloodwork. Usually they just check iron level.

The problems are, you might have low levels of iron, but lack the ability to absorb. You might need vit D or B12 supplements; their low levels contribute to anemia.

I personally have to take a prescription 50,000 unit vit D each week (regular daily supplement is 400 unit), and a B12 shot once a month. I also take regular iron supplement, but I have found SlowFE to be a good iron supplement; it is time released, so easier on stomach.

KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 11:44 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I have anemia also. Go back to your doctor and tell him your problem. I got referral to a nutritionalist. I worked with her for a year, keeping a journal of everything I put into my body and what came out! It was tedious but I now live drug free! Yay me!(sorry, just taking a moment. Lol) Which is a big deal because I also have IBS! I eat a ton of dairy and fiber. Avacado is my friend. If your doctor says there's no other options than get a new doctor.
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 11:45 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Vitamin C helps with the absorption of iron; coconut oil aids in the absorption of all vitamins. You shoult take your iron with these.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I eat pretty much everything, I have at least 2 oranges a day not to mention other fruits high in v C like tomatoes. I eat these pretty much bi weekly if not more steak spinach carrots oysters artichokes eggs nuts high in iron. I do check my labels and go for foods high in iron..
    nichette

Comment by nichette (original poster) at 11:47 AM on Apr. 27, 2011