I am a vegetarian......

Have been for many years, my question is those of you who are, do you get made fun of by friends and family at gatherings?????I never criticize others for eating meat, even if it makes me sick to my stomach to watch them do it, why do they?

Asked by older at 11:36 AM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Food & Drink

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • I think it's like when you are on a diet. Everyone wants to push food on you, only with you it's meat. I feel if that's your choice, then so be it.
    3mom627

Answer by 3mom627 at 7:55 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• You're a nice person then if you don't criticize others for what they eat. People do it all the time. I've had vegans tell me that I am "not good enough" because I drink milk and eat eggs. In any case, it seems to be an idea of moral superiority when others need to criticize others for their lifestyle.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 11:38 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Some people, family included, are just jerks who think their way is best and want to point out how wrong they think you are.
    I get picked on a lot at work, but it's all in good fun.
    Friends that truly don't understand are less jerks and just ignorant about it, so they might ask awkward questions or say something totally inappropriate, but it's not meant to be hurtful.
    wildsun

Answer by wildsun at 11:46 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• No, I don't. But like the pp said, I have had vegans go at me for stilling using milk. I don't eat eggs. Meat eaters never criticize me.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 11:47 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• We have a few vegans in our family, and I have never heard anyone say anything bad about them or to them. We always go out of our way to make sure there are appropriate foods for them, like not putting bacon in the salad, not seasoning the beans with pork, making sure there's a main dish that's vegan, things like that. But every time, they feel like they have to educate the rest of us about our poor choices. I taught nutrition on the college level. I'm polite because I don't want to escalate the situation. But they are a problem.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 2:12 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I'm not a vegetarian but have friends that are and would not make fun of them for thier choice and they don't criticize me for mine. I think it's better to just keep your mouth shut.
    Charizma77

Answer by Charizma77 at 2:12 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• i don't but i do feel bad if i have a party and forget about them and all they can eat is salad or couscous.
    sodapple

Answer by sodapple at 4:56 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• 3mom, come to think of it the analogy makes sense........

Comment by older (original poster) at 7:58 PM on Apr. 27, 2011