switching from slow-flow nipples?

Do you have to go to the next size, like slow-flow are for 0-6 months and then there is a bigger sized nipple? Does your baby absolutely need to move up to the next size as they get bigger? We use the playtex dropin bottles and use both types of nipples, the clear and the other ones.

heatherann0221

Asked by heatherann0221 at 4:43 PM on Dec. 3, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i tried to go up in size with my son but the hole in the nipple made a difference he kept choking because he is used to the small hole!! all it does is control how much comes out when they suck... i think its ok to leave it the same size!!
    RomeoButtlerMOM

Answer by RomeoButtlerMOM at 4:54 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I think you can leave it- but once they adjust to the faster bottle- they eat faster. My daughter is too busy to spend time with a bottle- she wants to see what's going on. So we switched her at 4 months to the fast flow. It took her a week or so- but she adjusted just fine and now she eats her bottle pretty quick so she can get back to what she was playing with. Oh the busy life of a baby!
    Greenbeans422

Answer by Greenbeans422 at 5:18 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I recommend the variable flow nipple. My daughter was taking almost an hour to eat with the slow flow so we had to move up. the fast worked much better but was messy. The variable worked great. And they don't leak. baby has to suck on it for the milk to come out.
    ferdo0204

Answer by ferdo0204 at 5:34 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I tried going up to the next flow ones,and my daughter didn't do good on them. They were too fast. so when i thought she was wanting a little more milk at a time, I used a safery pin and made the original hole a little bit bigger, and then a few weeks later i made another small hole in the nipple to allow for more milk to go through when sucking. It worked much better than the ones from the stores. I guess there holes were too big or had to many in them. You may try that. My daugher is not 5 month old. Oh and i use the drop ins with both brown and clear nipples.
    Anonymous

• From what I've seen (though I haven't tried it), you go from slow flow as newborns, then medium when they're sitting up, to fast when they're walking. I think it really depends on the baby, though!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 6:14 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I use the drop ins too and my son still likes the slow flow nipples and he's 9 months old. We tried the next stage up and he chokes. He doesn't take too long to eat a bottle. Maybe 20 mins, but he's a snuggler so that's why. He doesn't have a problem with a sippy cup just the fast flow nipples. I don't know why.
    BabyBreyen

Answer by BabyBreyen at 6:15 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Thanks! I think I remember my oldest having a hard time with the bigger nipples. The milk always got all over him and I thought the bottles were leaking. He used the Avent though. I'll stick with the slow flow, he's only 4 mo right now
    heatherann0221

Answer by heatherann0221 at 10:55 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I switched Gavin but that was bc the dr is having me put cereal in his bottle. I think I left Lexi on the slow flow until she was done with the bottle!
    kissyppr

Answer by kissyppr at 12:41 PM on Dec. 4, 2008