Can societys pressures,on women to be perfect cause deppresion in mama's??

This is another part of the research project which Im doing..Im especially interested hearing what mama's have to say about this statement what do you think?Do you agree or disagree what are your thoughts or experiences :-)

ashleysprincess

Asked by ashleysprincess at 11:47 AM on Apr. 27, 2011 in General Parenting

• Yes, and No..... I am highly satisfied with how I look, and I maintain my health and body for health reasons not societies views of me. BUT when it come to the type of mother of housekeeper I should be, I am effected! I feel pressured to have the nicest yard and cleanest, nicest house, to follow the book on parenting, and I DO! I seem to be societies perfect idea of a SAHM. But that is because I work very hard at it! But sometimes I get frustrated with being expected to be perfect!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 12:28 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Yes it can and does. Stress to keep up and be the best leads to depression.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Yes! Sometimes reading things on CM or hearing the debates on the news between SAHMs and working moms,, I feel there are expectations society places on you. I don't become depressed merely by listening to or reading these things but in addition to boredom or lack of funds. There are other factors that coincide with what people say/think to bring on depression such as that.

805doll

Answer by 805doll at 12:15 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Society never had anything to do with my parenting, I was looking out for the welfare of my children and what society said or did not say had nothing to do with my decisions. I think the depression that sometimes fall on moms come from an expectation that they did get to meet, an ideology of what they thought life as a mom would be and didn't reach. If you follow instincts and guts feelings and realize what a gift we have instead of a burden a lot would look at life differently.

Answer by older at 12:29 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Yes, I do. Just like teen magazines and advertisements put pressure on young girls to look and be a certain way the parenting magazines and society pressure mothers to be a certain way. We're supposed to do it all...have the perfect house, keep her husband happy, have their entire lives revolve around her children to the point she isn't allowed to have any interests or a life that might interfere with her children or husband. If you take time for yourself you are called selfish. If you work you aren't raising your kids. If you stay home you aren't contributing to the family. It's a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" kind of situation. Nothing you do as a mother is ever good enough for society. I've seen it so many times in posts here...mother's wondering if they are doing the best when they've already sacrificed everything they are. And they are told they aren't doing good enough unless they do XYZ.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:36 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Yes! I think it does cause depression. Because everyday we are constantly reminded by beauty magazines and even magazines like "pregnancy fitness" to be "perfect' for our husbands. It's ridiculous. It's like America expects their women to all be size "perfect" not size "naturally beautiful in your own way". This country sucks sometimes. Even on celebrities they're cruel! They can't just blow it off and say, "oh she just had a baby, it's okay" they gotta rip some actress apart for not losing all the baby weight, like they did Britney Spears. Come on!
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 11:51 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• BTW Not a fan of Britney Spears, I just think they're too hard on her sometimes which is why she does the things she does. People don't act out for no reason. I think that was part of her depression to be honest.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 11:52 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Soo interesting what you said about the magazines etc who can realisticly keep up with all of that? But why as women do we allow the media and society to effect us so much, we do we buy into at all?
    ashleysprincess

Comment by ashleysprincess (original poster) at 11:55 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Cause we think that's how we're supposed to be. Men see it on television, movies, magazines and they want that to be a reality. Yet the closest thing they can get to reality are real women, so they think women are supposed to be like they portray in the media, so we're pressured to be like the women in the media. I try not to let it pressure me, but sometimes I do wish I could get rid of my baby fat tummy. Someone thought I was pregnant the other day and it just depressed the hell out of me!
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 11:59 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Yikes!!So when you talk about perfection do you mean the way we look as oppose to how we are supposed to be as wives and mothers?Or both??And why aren't men affected by the media like we are??!!
    ashleysprincess

Comment by ashleysprincess (original poster) at 12:01 PM on Apr. 27, 2011