I have noticed that my 2 year old is in a really bad cry baby whinning stage for nothing. Is there a way to break it and if so how.

victoriak12708

Asked by victoriak12708 at 11:54 AM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Let me know if you find out! My 20 month old is just like this now. Everyone tells me its part of the age, but I personally think its a conspiracy to drive me mad!
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 12:03 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I think he is doing through the same thing I have been a little more strict with time out! And he is learning to control himself that way some. I also have noticed that when he goes through his crying fits that it helps to put him in his room until he stops be has started crying less and less but still has a lot of moments
    victoriak12708

Comment by victoriak12708 (original poster) at 12:06 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• The more I tried to "reason" or help my son while whining, the worse he got.. he was ( still can be at 3-1/2 ) one of the worst whiners.. terrible,. I finally just put him in his room and told him he can come out when he is ready to be done or talk like a big boy.. his was not an issue of not being able to communicate, he was an early talker so I have NO idea what the deal was.Now at 3-1/2 he knows I will not tolerate it..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:10 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• When he starts whining about being told no, I ignore him and walk away. I've discovered that the performance needs an audience and without it, its just not as much fun.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 12:15 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Part of the reason my 20 month old is so whiney is her K-9 teeth are coming in, but she is acting weirder than when the rest of her teeth came in. She will pull on our hands to get us up, or to walk with her but she just starts crying. Like 80% of the time her teeth hurt her because once I push on it a little bit she either screams more, or stops for a second, so a shot of tylenol or teething tables, her play toothe brush she can chew on and she is okay for the moment. The res tof the whiney parts I just ignore. Im not about to make her seem like that behaviour is okay. So I out her in her room and pull the door and tell her when she is done being a cry baby she can come out, becasue no one here wants to hear you cry. And she sits in there normally until she is done.
    SierraLynn

Answer by SierraLynn at 3:46 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• my 27 month old daughter has screamed since she was born,good luck lol
    mum2flowers

Answer by mum2flowers at 11:07 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• My suggestion would be to try hanging in there with him. Pay attention to what he's upset about & see if you can relate (you don't have to stop "relating" to yourself & your feelings, lol, but see if you can notice how his feelings make sense from his point of view.) This doesn't mean reasoning with him or talking him out of his feelings very kindly & logically; that isn't really connecting to how his feelings actually DO make sense. As "maxsmom" observed, reasoning doesn't really help the situation, because it's all about trying to convince someone to feel YOUR way. Explaining why you "had" to do something (that upset him) because it was unsafe etc., is all about validating YOUR position/actions & basically saying that he "shouldn't" feel the way he does, which is a negation of him. You don't have to go back on whatever limit you set, but try LETTING him have his feelings about it, and showing that you accept them & you care.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 6:07 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I only suggest this because it could let you cut back on time outs & putting him in his room, and it could also ease some of the agitation you feel when his crying & whining trigger you. (If you are connecting to his reality, you are not likely to be as agitated, because you don't feel him as "fighting" you as much as just feeling really upset & powerless, or pissed off about a disappointment, or whatever. Stuff that makes sense.) No, it's not easy to be present with someone's big, messy feelings, but if we can get used to the concept of allowing them to HAVE their feelings, we can feel more stable in our reactions so we aren't feeling crazy or on our last nerve. The less you are sending a message of non-acceptance (that he's wrong to feel & express himself as he does) and "STOP!!", the less frustration from negation and invalidation he will carry (as "fuel" on top of the next upset/disappointment.) He will have less baggage.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 6:17 PM on May. 4, 2011