Meeting his family help!

I am going to be meeting my boyfriends family tommrow for the first time. I am very shy when I first meet someone. So I am nervous that i will just be quiet and they will feel i dont like them i need tips on how to open up and be the person my boyfriend knows me as so his family can see the same person.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:01 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Relationships

• Just say hi and smile. It is o.k. to be shy the first time.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:04 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Tell them how difficult it is for you to get comfortable around new people. Have a couple of interesting conversation starter questions that you will feel comfortable in contributing to. Talk about how you feel about your boy friend and maybe somethings the two of you are hoping to do in the near future...Good Luck

meooma

Answer by meooma at 12:05 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Oh my goodness..I used to be the same way in past relationships and the famililies of my boyfriends would think I was such a snob..which I wasn't , I was just shy and got so nervous around people I didnt know that I wouldnt know what to say. I would just sit there and smile liek a jackass, LOL.
    So..with my current dh's family..I just opened up more.I told myself before I even met them..Kim..all you have to do is open your mouth and be yourself. I stuffed the feeling of being afraid I'd say somethign stupid wayyyy down.
    Think of some things you think would be nice to say before you go that way if your mind goes blank on spur of the moment stuff to say..you'll have some brain back up,lol.
    Good Luck!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:07 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Smile and ask questions!  Ask them a funny childhood story about your boyfriend........share one of your own!  Good luck!!!

Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 12:08 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I agree with Dahis!
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 12:18 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Asking them questions about your boyfriend is a great idea. How was he as a child? Did he give them a hard time as a teenager? Has he always been this cute and charming? Any mother especially likes to talk about her children, and it will show them how interested in him you are. Asking to see some old photos might be good, too, because that's a great way to get people telling stories. Then just try to interject some things about yourself- for example if there's a photo of your boyfriend with crazy hair or something you could share about the worst haircut you remember having yourself. And they will likely ask you some questions so maybe think ahead about how you will answer questions about your life, work, goals, etc, so you aren't caught off guard. If he loves you, they will probably love you, too, and they might be just as nervous. Your boyfriend met you and doesn't think you're a snob so I'm sure you'll do fine. Good luck.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 12:26 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• don't be nervous act like your going to see your family and just open up....thats what i did whenever i first met my husbands family....
    shelle21

Answer by shelle21 at 12:40 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I know it sounds cliche but just be yourself!! That never fails. Don't try to impress,, just relax and go with it.

805doll

Answer by 805doll at 12:41 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Ask him what to expect from his family. I don't think they will fault you for being a little shy on the first meeting. Try to be helpful with the meal/cleanup if you can (if you're doing dinner). I agree with meooma...have a couple things ready to go to talk about in case you run out of conversation. Have a couple questions you can ask them that would be neutral. "How did you meet?" something like that.

My family is pretty easy going and welcoming, but when my cousins or other single family members have new boyfriends/girlfriends, they are genuinely interested in things like where the person went to school, what they do for work, who their family is, how long the couple has seen each other, how they met, etc.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 12:53 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• No worries. You'll get to meet them many times.
    If its too much having them all at once, go for a walk/shop with his mom.
    This will give the two of you a chance to have some private time and bond.
    MyMyOhMy

Answer by MyMyOhMy at 9:00 PM on Apr. 27, 2011