Jogging

I would like to start but not sure if I can just go at it. I never ever ever jogged before. I have used an eliptical machine before but I know it's different from jogging. I don't know how to start. I know it sounds stupid but do I just go out there and jog or what?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:01 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• I started from scratch, and here's what I did: I started out running one block, walk a block, run a block, walk a block. Then I moved up to running two blocks, walking one. I kept adding blocks, and eventually, I was running my whole route (about 1.8 miles). From there, I started adding distance. I'm now up to about 5.5 miles! I still run 5 minutes, walk 10-30 seconds. It helps me keep my pace and keeps me from wearing out so fast.
    You should join the Running Moms group on here- it's a great resource, and a great group of moms who run! =)
    Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:07 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Couch to 5k running plan is great. That's how I got started. Just google It.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 12:03 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I started jogging a couple of months ago. I started slow at first and now I can jog for a long time without stopping. It's all about how far you can push yourself.
    Eisleysmommy27

Answer by Eisleysmommy27 at 12:16 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Yes, go out and do it, but first you need some good running shoes, go for the light kind, there are a lot of shoes out there now that make you feel like you are almost barefoot, those are the best kind. Start slow and work your way up to more mileage, or you could walk and run in spurts, you can't go wrong.

Answer by older at 12:03 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• you just need good light weight running shoes. i have a pair of mizunos, they are a little on the expensive side but they are great running shoes. and always stretch before you run, you dont want to pull a muscle. start out with a good pace not to slow nor to fast. get a good playlist, put your headphones in your ears and take off. but remember, as far as you go is as far as you will have to come back. so take it easy the first few days!
    KiraStadnik

Answer by KiraStadnik at 12:09 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I want to do the same thing. This is what I am doing:
    This entire week so far, every morning I have gone walking. Around 1 mile. I try to go as fast as I can. I plan that next week I will add a little jogging to my walk, each week building up a little. Good luck to you!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:14 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Google Galloway running program
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:18 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• 1st, I'd recommend going to your local running store and get fit for shoes. Light weight shoes aren't for everyone and there are so many kinds of shoes to choose from, let an expert make recommendations.
    I know many people who did great w/ couch to 5k. I started with the Galloway program and had great success with that. I started with 4 min running 1 min walk and moved up from there little by little. Running is AWESOME - start slow and it's OK to take walk breaks! Find a group or a partner to start with so you have some company! I started in Oct '09 and I'm about to run my 1st marathon on Saturday!
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 3:54 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• im not a runner but i heard and read somewhere you walk for 5 mins then jog or run for like a 1 or 2 mins the walk again and so on and so on.
    ncmomma3152

Answer by ncmomma3152 at 12:04 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Ok so everyone, when you started running/jogging were you overweight?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:04 PM on Apr. 27, 2011