Hmmm...

There are people who claim that a lot of the problems we see with crime and people acting badly in general is because of God being taken out of the schools and such. And that morals are taught in church.

I was just thinking about this and wondering about Japan - from what I can find, Christianity is a very minority religion there - thier main beliefs are Shinto and Buddhism and yet their crime is much lower...

Thoughts on this?

charlotsomtimes

Asked by charlotsomtimes at 12:06 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Religion has nothing to do with the loss of morals in the US. Society needs to quit the blame game, and own up to their faults, and work on them.

It is not McDonald's fault US children are so overweight. It is not the video game causing children to be lazy. Society needs to grow a pair and own up to what needs to be done.
    Anonymous

• That is why people that don't believe in anything tend to do whatever they want and not caring about others!

--------------------------------

Oh, sorry I missed the memo. I'll get back to my raping and pillaging now.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:18 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• My first thought is there is NO MORE crime and such today than there was 50 years ago when they still prayed before class... The only things that changes are that we have national news to make sure we all know about it, it's become less "hidden," and we are FINALLY seeing many things which were commonly seen as acceptable as crimes - like child or spouse abuse... Plus, there are more people, so more crime, but percentage wise, there isn't any more crime...

Now, to your religious question... Buddhist beliefs primarily focus on attaining peace, and you simply can't do that as a criminal. Christianity teaches that even if you are a criminal, as long as you repent you'll be forgiven... So what's the point in being peaceful?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:14 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• There is a widespread issue today in the US with absent parenting. Many kids are in daycare from 6AM to 6PM during the week, and then left with sitters on the weekend, so the parents can have "me-time". Parents don't even come home after work, claiming they must go to the gym, book-club, girl's night out, drinks with co-workers, etc. The consequence of this is that there is not anyone around to teach the child about morals. Daycare staff cannot do that. And, a once a week visit to church cannot do that, either.

Religion is a great "support" to the morals that are taught in the home, but it is not sufficient as the "only" teacher.

Japan, in general, values education, morals, kids, and the family unit a bit more than US. They make decisions based on what is good for the family, not the individual. And, that means sacrificing to make sure that the child is raised correctly.

This is the real problem.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 12:17 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• In Japan their culture is strong in values
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 12:13 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• It has nothing to do with "god". It has to do with people in general. God and the bible shouldn't be in schools or politics or anywhere else where they throw a religion in your face. I am not religious what so ever I don't believe in God or a higher being and I'm not out there shooting people or causing crimes. And morals aren't just taught in church morals should be taught by the parents first and for most.
    Eisleysmommy27

Answer by Eisleysmommy27 at 12:14 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I think alot of people like to place the blame on God being removed as opposed to looking at themselves or their parenting skills and knowing they failed their children.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:19 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• the japanese are taught discipline and respect. they respect family values. in the US we shit on anything we dont like. IMO they are cultured, most people here are not!
    KiraStadnik

Answer by KiraStadnik at 12:16 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• also, kristi, i've seen the same for those who don't 'rely' on God

Oh absolutely, it all boils down to the same thing though, parents who expect other institutions such as school, church, etc to teach their children manners, morals, and responsibility while ignoring their duties as parents at home and the illusion that their child is "perfect" when the kid is nothing but a little shithead.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:01 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I do think that kids today are not taught the same as in previous generations. But that is more about the parents than G-d or the schools. Parents need to take responsibility for their kids behavior. Parents need to learn how to say no and be the disciplinarian. I have actually heard a Mom say "I don't want (my child) to be mad at me". Seriously people, we are their parents not their friends.

For me, growing up the worst phrase in the world was "I'm so disappointed in you". I do think kids need to be taught right from wrong. Whether that be in the context of a religion or not. I do think that religion and moral should be taught at home and not in school though. And in Japan there is a strict code of behavior that is taught by parents and that all of society is expected to live by. Most of it basically centers around what we would consider respect for others.
    NHRachel

Answer by NHRachel at 12:17 PM on Apr. 27, 2011