Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

If I have a court order that my ex husband has to pay child support but he says he can't because he has no money what can I do

I have a Case with dcse but haven't received a payment in four months but have a court date I'm June but the dead beat claims he has back problems so he is not able to work and I gave three kids by him and I'm remarried to a great man but he is remarried Also and has three kids with his new wife and neither one is working their currently being evicted out of their home do my question is will he be allowed to not pay his child support he will be $9,656.96 behind on his support come court date does anybody have any answers to my proble

Answer Question

Asked by Stressed136 at 12:06 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Money & Work

Level 2 (11 Credits)
Answers (22)
  • IN NH they usually put them in jail

    Answer by NHRachel at 12:09 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

  • Contact child support enforcement agency in your county?

    Answer by meooma at 12:09 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

  • Is he working? They can garnish wages. He will need to have the support modified in order to be relieved of the obligation. ANd, they will take into account their total household earnings.

    Answer by ImaginationMama at 12:09 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

  • In most cases, the office of child support will rule that he still owes that money and will expect him to catch up when he does get a job again. My ex is very far in arrears and is ordered to pay $100 a month in arrears on top of his current support.

    Answer by riotgrrl at 12:09 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

  • Your post is rather confusing...
    I would say call your caseworker. But, if you have court in June it may take that long to get anything accomplished anyways.

    Answer by splatz at 12:09 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

  • Call the child supprt enforcement agency and they will direct you to investigations. You talk with them and they will pursue the matter.If hes getting any unemployment, they can garnish..or workers comp..they can garnish..if he has a bank account..or any kind of assets at all, they can garnish.They can also suspend his license.
    Good Luck

    Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:10 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

  • Its so hard to get child support from a deadbeat. But you CAN file criminal charges against him through child support enforcement. Just ask my ex who has been in jail for 5 months so far for not paying his child support b/c "It's so hard to get a job in this economy." He is over $15,000 behind. Whether he really has a back problem or not there are plenty of jobs he can do!!

    Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 12:11 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

  • If he is working courts will handle it when your court date comes around. However if he is on disability or social security they more than likely can't do anything about. I wish you luck!!!

    Answer by ramita at 12:11 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

  • he will most likely go to jail and or have his license suspended. then once he gets in court they can force him to get a job then the money will be automatically be deducted from his bank account.

    Answer by KiraStadnik at 12:12 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

  • In court they may lock him up for a purge payment (part of what he owes), he will still owe you........every penny until he pays, even if your kids emancipate. unfortunately, he sounds as if he is "skirting around the rules" but in the end he will ALWAYS owe until it is paid. if he gets to working, get the courts to do an IDO (income deduction order). are the three kids with the new wife his or hers? he can't claim 2nd family if they aren't his good luck mama and my best word of advice...........don't ever DEPEND on that support, be blessed when you get it.

    Answer by Dahis at 12:12 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.