A false sense of superiority?

spawned from another question... I ask this.

Why do you feel that you, as a "higher species" have been "given dominion over all beasts" and that the same laws of nature which apply to them, do not in fact, apply to you?

Why is it that you so vehemently deny you are, in fact, an animal. A mammal. More specifically, a primate. A large, hairless ape?

Why do you believe that you are any less impacted by animal instinct than any other species?

(yes, this belongs in Religious Debate... If you recat it I'll simply move it back)

***If humans are "More Powerful", why is it that we are not the absolute top of the food chain either on land, or in the sea?

You still have yet to answer the question 'If we are not animals, what are we?'

Humans ARE animals. If we are not animals, we are not human.

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 12:35 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Because I have a soul. Thats what makes me better than animals. My superior intelligence and ability to think and reason are what make me better.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 12:37 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I think humans are more powerful. I also think that, with more power, comes more responsibility.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 12:39 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• (why recat?)
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:41 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I don't think this is necessarily religious related (though there are lines about it in the bible about adam being given dominion over all beasts) but rather I think it goes back more to the idea that man was the only species capable of "higher thoguht" of course we know this isn't treu anymore as scientific research has discovered that other species such as dolphins/primates/and even dogs are capable of complex thought processes but the stigma remains from religious upbringing that humans are the only ones with "souls" or that think about things such as the unknown as well as emotional responses. The truth of the matter though is we do not know all the higher thought processes of animals because we cannot communicate with them effectively like we can those of our own species. Thus our knowledge of their abilities in higher brain fucntion is restricted.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:41 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Vbruno- Are you not still an animal? Are you truly denying the undeniable fact, that we are animals? Or are you simply putting humans on a pedestal?
    If we, humans, bipedal mammals, have "souls" (which, I do not believe we do) is it not fair to reason that "lesser" species do as well?
    As far as measurable intelligence goes... you should really do your homework. There are several species who rival the IQ of an average adult. I'm sure you would have learned about them in school... no?
    ObbyDobbie

Comment by ObbyDobbie (original poster) at 12:42 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Dull... someone has a habit of re-categorizing questions that they do not want to see answered, so they'll be buried in JFF. Sad, but true.
    ObbyDobbie

Comment by ObbyDobbie (original poster) at 12:43 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

•  i don't think there's any communication problem here. (sorry, OP..had to do it!)

dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:46 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I dunno I personally believe that the line "given dominion over all beasts" just simply means that we should feel responsible about how the animals are doing (maybe not so much each animal personally) as a whole. Like if these animals are dieing off we should make sure we do all we can to make sure that doesn't happen. Just like a king, president, etc would have dominion over their peoples but that doesn't mean they are better than the rest of us just in the position to try to do what's be for us...thats what I understand about it
    as far as the spirit thing...I think we ALL animals included have spirits, if you don't you've never truly looked into the eyes of an animal who was in pain or came up to you while you were sad to make you feel better...
    ramita

Answer by ramita at 12:49 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• if this means after we die we go to heaven I dunno...all i can do it believe or not believe, but we all have a spirit as far as I'm concerned...
    ramita

Answer by ramita at 12:51 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Simple....animals are not responsible for their actions.Humans are.We have reasoning and intellect that far surpasses beasts.We have a spiritual side to us,animals don't,and that's why human beings are the only creatures that bury their dead.I read somewhere that humans are also the only creatures that cry,for emotional purposes.There are just too many differences to list as to why we are not animals.

So if you,or anyone else wants to think of yourself as being an "animal',go right ahead.But go ahead and start doing things that animals do and see where it gets you.Science can classify us as animals all it wants to,and I will admit there are some people who sure as hell ACT like animals,but I'm not one.Whatever you feel yourself to be is entirely up to you.

MistyBlueMom

Answer by MistyBlueMom at 12:57 PM on Apr. 27, 2011