Not sure what to do...

My son is 3 and is developmentally delayed. He started going to the Early Childhood preschool here and this is his fourth day. So far all the reports had been well but today he had a frown face and a note saying he pushed two other students. I can't get much out of my son other than he did push today. It isn't like him to push and I really don't know what to do. When I saw the note I sat him down and talked to him about why it's not nice to push. I am just not sure at this age and circumstances what else to do. Any advice would be wonderful. Thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:51 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• The reason he is probably pushing is because he is frustrated. He has entered into a complex social system, and does not know how to effectively converse in it. He is pushed to his limit.

Set up a conference with the teacher, and discuss solutions. The two of you can help out the poor little guy, for sure.

Hugs.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 12:54 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I agree with imaginationMama this is new to him and any kid will act out like that when they're frustrated. I would definitely try to show him how to act when he gets frustrated and talk to the teacher and see what her advice would be and also see if she knows why he pushed the other kids...
    ramita

Answer by ramita at 1:00 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Give him some time. Explain that pushing is not acceptable and that he needs to walk away. He is pretty young though,.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 1:53 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I agree, meet with the teacher and get a better understanding of the context of his behavior. He most likely is expressing overwhelm, anxiety, frustration with his body, does not have the verbal ability yet to express himself. Work with him on normalizing feelings, and provide options for expressing his feelings more effectively. His teacher might also have some ideas for helping him adjust to the new situation!
    thrivingmama

Answer by thrivingmama at 2:16 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I think you handled it fine. I'd leave it alone and see how the next day goes.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 8:07 PM on Apr. 27, 2011