If you found out

through some sort of medical test that the baby you were carrying was going to have severe problems, not make it to term (stillbirth), or would die shortly after birth(ie no brain stem) what would you do? I have never been faced with the situation. I think it would be a tough choice. I have a family friend who was told their son would not make it to six months and that he had Downs. He was born perfectly fine. But her first OB tried to talk her into abortion. The kid is 9 now and perfectly fine.

Shaken1976

Asked by Shaken1976 at 1:12 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in General Parenting

• I terminated the pregnancy and I do not regret it for a second.
    Anonymous

• Even if my child had Anencephaly, I would carry to term and have a c-section just to give it what life it could. Some of those kids even make it several years.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:17 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I cannot even imagine how I would feel......if it was DEFINITE. I know I would have gotten a 2nd, 3rd, and even 4th opinion before I EVEN considered an abortion. WOW, what a blessing for your friend and her son!!!!!
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 1:17 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• That's a really tough question. I'm on the fence. I suppose it would be on of those situation where I don't know what I would do until I was actually in it.
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 1:25 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I don't know what I would do. I don't feel right playing God and I do believe in miracles but on the other hand I don't feel that I could raise a child with serious illness. (kudos to those that do)
    alligurl186

Answer by alligurl186 at 1:28 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• There is no definite test. I think I would carry the baby to term or as far to term as possible in case the tests were wrong.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:39 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I Will always choose life and give my child every chance possible for survival. IMO I see termination of an unhealthy fetus just as I see Kevorkianism.  It is not for us to decide who lives and who dies.

sissy15

Answer by sissy15 at 1:51 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• My first son, second child was born with craniosynostosis and had to have his skull and face rebuilt when he was 3 months old. The surgery itself caused him to have life long eye problems that also needed several surgeries to repair. I became pregnant again after and the doctor in the ultra sound room told me that son would be born with the same problem, then he went on to yell at me because I was too far along to abort him. I had to tell this jerk I wouldn't have aborted anyway.
    My second son was NOT born with the same problem. The problem he did have would not have shown up on any test.
    Both of my sons over came their problems and lead normal lives.
    If a person knows they are going to lose the child at birth or the child is horribly ill and they abort the baby people should be supportive and kind. That kind of choice never comes easy.
    CallMeAngie

Answer by CallMeAngie at 1:52 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• we would have the child God gave us, and pray that that child is watched over by Him!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 2:02 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I do not believe in abortion so I would carry the child to full term. There is no doctor or test in the world that is 100% correct. I would rather live with the fact that I had a sick child and he passed than have an abortion on my conscience.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 3:00 PM on Apr. 27, 2011