BF Moms: How many calories & Still loose weight?

So I'm 38 weeks pregnant and just waiting on this guy to make his entrance. Before getting pregnant I was trying to loose weight. My heaviest was 270lbs. (I'm 262lbs now) I joined curves and went for a month before I had an unfortunate accident involving a pony. I broke my foot and had to take a little break, then found out I was pregnant and didn't go back. Life since then prevents me from joining curves again, but I can still diet, exercise at home, and I hear BFing will help with loosing weight too. My question is this. Before I was maintaining a 1500 calorie diet. How many calories will I need to stay around to loose weight and still be getting enough nutrients for breastfeeding?

SalemWitchChild

Asked by SalemWitchChild at 1:13 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• I know Weight Watchers has a program specifically designed for nursing moms. You can also join babyfit.com, which is sparkpeople.com's site for pregnant and nursing moms. Bare minimum, 1500 calories for nursing moms, but I'd say to try to stay closer to 1800. Be sure to take your prenatal vitamins while you're nursing as well. Good luck, and congratulations on your decision to breastfeed! =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:25 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I continued eating the right calories...I think you have to double what you needed for pregnancy? What I watched was how much fat intake, sugar, and sodium I ate. I kept my diet balanced but healthy. Drink lots of water. I went on daily walks and did work out videos consistently.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 1:20 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• u need to intake atleast 1500-1800 calories. i believe they say bf burns 300-500 calories
    djsmommy13

Answer by djsmommy13 at 1:33 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Thanks for asking this question - I was wondering about this, too. :-)
    Molly4630

Answer by Molly4630 at 2:46 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I'm pretty sure the norm in a 2000 calorie diet w/o being preggo and I've always been told make it 2300 while preggo and BF, and that you should continue to eat like your preggo with BF. I'm not sure if this is a myth or not, some people BF helps lose the weight, and some it doesn't. And it is okay to exercise while preggo :)
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 2:52 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• It all depends on your metabolic rate. 1500, 2000, 2500 is not a blanket for all people. Everyone has a specific need based on their age, muscle mass, weight, activity level. Breastfeeding burns an extra 400-600 calories a day (for a single child). But beware, just like in pregnancy, you will probably crave more than you actually need. See a Dietitian and they can come up with the exact amount of calories you will need.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 3:06 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Music I'm low income right now so I couldn't afford weight watchers. But thanks for that website. I joined Sparkpeople last year while dieting. I'll save that website!
    SalemWitchChild

Comment by SalemWitchChild (original poster) at 5:38 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Try this website also...it's great www.myfitnesspal.com
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 11:40 PM on Apr. 29, 2011