Mothers who either let or make their kids become fat..

What are your feelings on this? I am not talking about children with metabolism or medical reasons for being overweight I am talking about perfectly normal children. I sometimes feel this is clearly child abuse. I am not talking about chubby and a few lbs over. I am talking about clearly seeing your very young child (talking 4,5,6, 7 yrs old in some cases) become obese and to continue feeding them enormous amounts of unhealthy foods. I also do not think poverty is an excuse either. I am poor and thin and so is my kid. I rather have less healthy food than a pile of junk if it came down to it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:21 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Sadly, the unhealthy food costs less than the healthy food. Yes I do feel bad for the children and their parents but I am likely to judge an adult for being overweight than a child because they don't know any better and with crimes against children getting worse and worse it isn't even safe to let your child out to run and play anymore..
    Anonymous

• I do feel it is a form of abuse. Poor eating habits and lack of exercise is a form of abuse to your body. Children do not have the resources to shop for themselves or prepare their own healthy meals
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 1:23 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Several years ago a friend told me she could not stop her kid from eating junk food. I told her it was pretty simple. Just don't buy it. Sometimes you have to make sacrifices for your kid.

We don't do a lot of fast food. We don't do a lot of junk food. We eat lots of veggies and good for you stuff. We teach nutrition. My dd is small for her age and we have all kinds of issues getting clothes that fit. I completely blame that on the fact that childhood obesity is so rampant that clothing manufacturers are making clothes to fit them.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 1:26 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Anonymous as I said before. I am low income. I choose to buy healthy stuff. Actually it sometimes is the other way around depending on the store and area. You could clearly go shopping for basic healthy items and spend much less than a cart fool of prepackaged crap. A cart full of some vegetables, fruits, some chicken or whatever meat, milk, eggs, staples etc cost less and goes a longer way the banquet frozen meals. It is not an excuse.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:27 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• it disgusts me. some states are now taking this into consideration and if a parent brings their child into a doctors office and they're obese they are getting on the parent and they should! parents are the ones choosing what and when to feed their child at this age so its unacceptable to come up with ridiculous excuses. There are ways to feed yourself and children on low budget and it still be healthy. Fast food isn't cheap contrary to what people believe. I could buy a whole meal/bag of chicken for 8 bucks that's natural and will last for a week or two.
    -lovingliam-

Answer by -lovingliam- at 1:27 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I feel that we teach our children how to eat.I think its okay to have a little sweet treat now and again...but there are limits. I'm not sure I would call it 'child abuse' because to me child abuse is like beating the crap out of a kid.Most parents who allow their children to overeat do love thier children very much , they are just eneducated on eating healthy and how to limit them from overeating. I have a friend that does allow her children to overeat, and its usually junk ..and other than that..she is one of the best moms ever...I feel bad for her and I've tried gently tellng her.But she feels one way about it and I feel another way..and they are HER children, so I leave it alone. For me..I have 3 kids.My oldest is 11 and if I let him eat whatever he wanted and how much of it he wanted, he'd be overweight, unhealthy and probably have no energy.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:27 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• full and than*
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:28 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I feel that we have no business judging or telling a parent what to do with their child, its their responsibility and not ours. So do what you can with your own and if your doing the best that you can be content with that and don't worry about the control of someone else.  Schools and politics have no place in this dispute.

amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 1:30 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I would be overweight if I ate what I wanted as well. I learned what foods are right and wrong for me. I was always a little overweight here and there and my mothers crap cooking habits did not help but she didn't care because she had a high metabolism. As an adult I took control of it and I will not let my child become unhealthy whether he has a high or low metabolism.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:30 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Yes amazing well if you lived where I did you would worry about your kid having absolutely no friends because they are all inside and cannot lift themselves out of the bed lol. It is depressing to see little kids weighing twice what they are supposed to.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:31 PM on Apr. 27, 2011