When did your child start eating table foods?

My 10 month old was exclusively breastfed until 6 months. Then he started eating cereals and baby food. He now eats 2nd foods and seems to really enjoy them. I've tried to feed him 3rd foods, but the chunks make him gag. He will feed himself the Gerber Graduates puffy star things and the veggi crisp things. He loves them. He will also eat tiny pieces of bread and chicken, but if pieces get too big, he gags. I was wondering if he's on schedule or if he should be feeding himself more. What foods did you use to get your baby to self-feed?

suneebeach

Asked by suneebeach at 4:58 PM on Dec. 3, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Grapes, bananas, corn, diced carrots, gerber puffs. All cut small of course. She is nearly ten months, but we started at 8 months with the puffs.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 4:59 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I use the same things you to the puffs and veggy things, I give her tiny pieces of bread and what ever we are eating to supper. Any thing she can pick up and is small enough for her to eat
    robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 5:00 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• My son is 11 months and sometimes gags too. I think they just treat it as if it smaller peices sometimes swallowing whole and well the peices are to big. He needs to start chewing the pieces... The way I taught my little one is by giving him an apple whole and if he wanted to get pieces he had to chew since then he rarely has a gagging moment.
    estaticmommy

Answer by estaticmommy at 5:01 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Don't use the stage 3! its because your baby is used to the food being smooth and easy to swallow that the chunks throw it off and they try to eat it like the other stages which causes them to choke. i didn't use stage 3 foods that had chunks i only used stage 3 that were the bananas etc.. and had no chunks... he eats just about anything i give him. i give him green beans, mashed potatoes, Cheetos the baby Gerber kind that easily dissolve, and other soft foods that are easy to mash up and swallow!
    RomeoButtlerMOM

Answer by RomeoButtlerMOM at 5:03 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• i started my dd at 9 mths with table food. but i think it depends on the baby my 2nd did fine at 7 mths in table food and my oldest was 1 yr b4 getting table food. as a mom you know what your child is ready for.
    and i use(d) the gerber graduates, the crips things the puff stars the little tv dinner looking ones, my DD loves the wagon wheel chicken one. also the biter cookies are good at teaching self feeding but they are messy. also just boil plain noodles like mac or the spiral ones and try him on those. good luck
    bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 5:05 PM on Dec. 3, 2008