Shock collars (for dogs not kids!)

this is not do you like them or not! im not a fan of them but i am at my whits end with my 100 lbs german shepherd jumping my fence. i used to be able to stand outside with her and she would stay in the yard. but i cant always stand there so i got a 30ft tie out. well she figured out how to get out of it. i want my dog to be able to run in the yard so i dont really want to just go buy a harness which would be cheap and easy. i want to teach her not to jump the fence. she has started jumping it even with me out there now. im wondering what brand you have used for a shock collar and if you liked it the reviews of ones i have seen are bad. i dont want to spend 200 bucks on something i hopefully only have to use for maybe a week

aschwarz06

Asked by aschwarz06 at 1:36 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Pets

• I don't know... I like the way you're thinking... Except I would need the collar to zap the kids for more things than talking with their outside voices...
    SleepyCupcake

Answer by SleepyCupcake at 1:41 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Have you tried the Innotek Brand? We had that for our fence jumper ! I am not a fan at ALL but we tried it all too and his safety at our house with our family was more important than him getting minor shock training.. sorry - I know that sounds bad but.. its true.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:43 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I hope you take this to heart.

What you are dealing with is a larger obedience issue, which you, as the owner need to address not by punishing her when she misbehaves, but guiding her in the direction of appropriate behavior and praising her for it. The *average* GS has the IQ of a 3-5 year old child (in some cases, with highly trained working dogs- as much as a 10 year old child. Their brains grow with interaction and knowledge like ours do).
    I can see that you are really in need of help, but an electric fence or shock collar is not the answer. She needs guidance, training, and lots of patience from you to become an incredible and obedient dog.

I urge you to find a local trainer to work with. She deserves it, and so do you. It would be wonderful for you to enjoy one another to the fullest degree possible. :)
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:44 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• You really need to train your 100 lbs. shepherd.

A shock collar used for a week or so (temporarily) as you think, is not realistic. Your dog is going to be fully aware that you are putting a collar on that zaps her for crossing the fence. She is not dumb. When the collar comes off, or is forgotten...off she will go.
    I would go a different route, you are looking for a quick fix that is not going to pay off. I don't believe they are good for long term results, and dogs get collar wise. And, I am not convinced that sending a jolt of current through the animal's body and brain does not do some damage over a course of time.

I think you need to train this dog in obedience, get a good solid recall on the dog, and accept the fact that this is not a dog who should be left to her own devices in the yard. She really doesn't have to behave this way if you worked on gaining a little more control through the obedience work.

spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 1:58 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Here are some alternate and less traumatic options for your dog.
    1. Extend the height of your fence. This can be done simply and reversibly without causing property damage. You can simply set up some chicken wire along the top or something to that affect to make it too tall to jump.
    2. If your dog doesn't jump straight over the fence but climbs all or part of the way, try these tips. Nail some sheets of chicken or aviary wire to the yard side of your fence to prevent climbing. You could also try some clear plastic sheeting which serves the same purpose as the wire but may look better, depending on your fence and, again, is temporary and reversible.
    3. Lay sheets of chicken wire down around the perimeter of your fence. Many dogs hate the feeling of wire under foot and will not launch skywards from it. Once again, reversible, no property damage and effective.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 8:23 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• she is a great listener though. as long as she is inside or wants to listen she is great. it is only jumping the fence that she has issues with. all of her other obedience is fantastic. i do understand what you mean with obedience and if she had other issues i may think that was the issue. she strongly understands the word no and knows her boundries however i dont know what it is about the fence she just cant resist so there is only one behavior i am trying to correct
    aschwarz06

Comment by aschwarz06 (original poster) at 2:00 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• this is all a recent behavior. im not saying i want to turn my dog loose and let her go. i would be out side with her but if i need to run in the house for a min i need to know she wont jump. and if she has to wear the collar when shes outside just so she dont jump thats fine. and i would never do something to her i wouldnt do to myself so if i have to put the collar on my neck first to see what its like so be it i dont care. like i said besides jumping the fence she has great obedience and is a very respectful dog
    aschwarz06

Comment by aschwarz06 (original poster) at 2:04 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• cruel! The dogs next door could use one.
    Anonymous

• Our neighbors use the kind that you bury in the yard. Is that what you are talking about? I don't think they are cruel. they worked and the dogs werent harmed. I do know it was expensive though so if you are going to do it you might want to think of it as a more permanent thing.
    alligurl186

Answer by alligurl186 at 5:07 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• no im not looking for the electric fences i rent so thats not an option. i wish it was so i could fence the front yard too so she could go out front
    aschwarz06

Comment by aschwarz06 (original poster) at 6:48 PM on Apr. 27, 2011