My toddler is regressing in potty training.

My daughter potty trained early at 16.5 months with little effort on my part really. I just took her to the bathroom every hour then every hour and a half, eventually it was every 2 hours. This was going great she even stopped needing diapers at night because she would wake me up to take her potty. So life is good right?

Fast forward to this February she is 19 months at this point. We move in with my family because my husband is deploying for a year. We thought this would be good for me and her since I would have family to help me and we could save a ton of money. Well within a few days of us being here she starts peeing the bed at night and waking up more frequently. Okay no problem we start taking her to the bathroom more at night. Daddy leaves. That is when the accidents during the day start happening A LOT. Okay so I started taking her more frequently to the bathroom reward board for everytime she goes on the toilet. She has mostly good days with few bad days mixed in each week. Now its the end of April, and she is still having tons of accidents. BUT she will go part of the day going to the bathroom regularly and then other parts of the day she will pee 4 times in thirty minutes. She will pee on the floor then say Momma, Pee! So some days its the morning when she will go to the potty every hour and a half. Some days its morning and evening. But most days there will be a time during the day when she will pee in her underwear multiple times in a short amount of time. She also pees on herself on purpose when I make her mad. For instance she wants to get out of bed and I put her back in her bed, she pees herself to get out. I finally figured that one out. If she pees herself on purpose to get out of bed I change her underwear in her bed and lay her back down. Another example I told her no on something today and she stood there looked right at me and peed herself.

So she has what I would consider accidents, but she also forces herself to pee as her form of fit throwing. My daughter doesn't do tantrums she just forces herself to pee. And I do mean forces. She will get all stiff and red faced to make herself go sometimes. And this could be minutes after she peed on the potty or on the floor.

HELP ME! She is 22 months old at this point. Regression has been going on for two months. I need help.

MommaundMerdy

Asked by MommaundMerdy at 1:50 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would put her back in diapers for a while. Her WHOLE life has been turned upside down and sideways and this is ONE thing she has total control over.

I would try giving voice to how she's feeling about Daddy "abandoning her" and all these strange people she's now living with. Talk with her, even if it's mostly you doing the talking. I'm willing to bet that once she knows that her emotions are validated and that you feel the same way sometimes too the "accidents" will stop happening.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 2:04 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I definitely don't want to put her back in diapers since she always poops on the potty. And most of the time she tells me she has to potty when she needs to go poo. So I really don't want to go back to changing poop diapers.

I really think you may be on to something about the expressing feelings though. She knows sad, glad, and mad from one of her Dr. Seuss books. So I am trying to expand on that with her.

I know that being around her grandparents has caused her some stress. They both work and come home at different times everyday and they go to church before we do. Every Sunday morning she gets upset because they leave without her. I always explain that we will be going too.

She seems to have more accidents around the times they leave or come home. I am having a hard time trying to come up with a strategy for her. The rewards and positive reinforcement don't phase her. She could care less about her smilies or pickles.
    MommaundMerdy

Comment by MommaundMerdy (original poster) at 10:07 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I would not push her,put her back in pull ups and let her do it when she is ready again,it might not take long and she will be comfortable
    mum2flowers

Answer by mum2flowers at 11:06 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I don't know if you read my response, but I am not putting her back in anything. She poops on the potty everytime, she pees in the potty most every time. She never was in pull ups to begin with. She knows what to do. She is obviously dealing with all these big changes. Personally I don't think we should start over since the majority of the time she is using the toilet.
    MommaundMerdy

Comment by MommaundMerdy (original poster) at 8:17 AM on Apr. 28, 2011