Spin off on Birthday Parties

What do you do if your child gets a gift you don't want them to have?? Such as make up for a young girl...

Also how do you feel about invitations just to fill a certain number of slots? ie We have to have 15 kids for this party and I need one more...

Last how about parties for kids you don't know or only slightly know? Such as the coworker you pass in the hallway but never really speak to...

I kind of feel some of these are just seeking more presents for their kids.

Shaken1976

Asked by Shaken1976 at 2:03 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Just for Fun

• 1) I would explain to my child AFTER the party that we (dad and I) dont feel that now is the time for that gift and that we will put it away until they are older.  They STILL have to write a thank you.  And with out the child knowing i would donate it.

2) I have never heard of "filling slots"  what kind of birthday requires a certain number of guests???  I know that certain places make you pay the same up to a certain number... but I dont see that as 'requiring' you to invite guests.  I guess I dont get this question.

3) I dont go.  If my child gets an invite we ONLY go if my child likes the kid or plays with the kid... we dont go just to go.  And I personally dont like the 'whole class' invites.  It is impersonal and seems like a brag or a cop out.. I think it ridiculous.

Anonymous

• 1- depends on the gift. If it's something I don't want them to have until they are older, it will get put up. If it's something they don't need at all, it'll be donated.
    2- I've nev been in that position. I invite those who are important. Who care how many people or kids are there...
    3- if it's kids I don't really know, or kinda know their parents- I send them a card with some money
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 2:16 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• When someone gave my child something I didn't want them to have, I just had my child thank them graciously, then if possible I'd let them exchange it for something appropriate, or if not put it away for when they were older, or possibly regift it to someone the original gift giver didn't know, and that it was appropriate for. This happened a couple of times with movies and video games that weren't age appropriate with my boys.

As for having to pay for a certain number of kids, I don't like those rules, but usually you can just pay for the extra child, or often a child has a sibling that might like to join in.

Unless the person just seems like a greedy person, I prefer to assume that they are inviting me to become better friends. Then if I can I go at least for awhile with a gift appropriate for our level of friendship, or if I'll thank them and give my regrets, and I may or may not send a gift, or at least a card.

ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 2:19 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• *If my child gets a gift I don't want them to have...hmm..I'm not sure what I would do..its never happened yet.
    *I don't have a certain set limit of numbers of kids my kids can invite to a party because we do them at our house..so it really doesnt matter.If I was doing it at like a pay per kid place, that would be different.I also dont feel theres a certain quota to meet when inviting kids.This question mostly applies to my 11 year old...I just asked him about how many kids he wantd to invite and I give him invites to hand out at school and then I invite everyone else (family, family friends,etc)
    *If were invited to a party, I see it as an opportunity to get to know people I dont know a little better...same with my children. Its usually fun and enjoyable to socialize.
    *Lastly, if I felt someone was just doing it for the gifts..well ... I don't know what I'd do..never been in that situation.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:22 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• What do you do if your child gets a gift you don't want them to have?? Such as make up for a young girl... I allow her to play with it that day and let her know it is a special occasion but after that it will be put away. (After the party guest are gone)

Also how do you feel about invitations just to fill a certain number of slots? ie We have to have 15 kids for this party and I need one more... I think that is silly

Last how about parties for kids you don't know or only slightly know? Such as the coworker you pass in the hallway but never really speak to... I will respectfully decline, though I feel they may just want me to feel included. I hope gifts are not the motive.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:22 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• !. Write a thank you note and put the toy away for when he is older. If it something i think is completely inappropriate, like DS got a onesie that had a cuss word on it. I still write a thank you but donate it.
    2. I only invite people I, DH, or DS wants to come to the party.
    3.If I don't know someone then we don't go. Just say thank you very much for inviting us but we have plans for that day. But I wish your child a happy birthday.
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 2:28 PM on Apr. 27, 2011