Does anyone else have a fantastic MIL?! What are you going to do for her for Mother's Day?

I love my MIL to death, and after reading some horror stories about MILs who are rude, awful, condescending, invasive, and nasty to their DILs/grandkids...it makes me even more grateful for the MIL I have!

When the only complaint I have is that she spoils the kids, I feel stupid even bringing it up. She LOVES having the kids, she is active with them, she has ALWAYS treated me like a daughter, and yeah, she feeds them full of as much grandma food and chocolate as she can while she is with them, but she LOVES us.

What we are going to do for her for Mother's Day will depend a little on if this baby is here or if I'm still in the hospital(I'm due right around Mother's Day). LOL! I saw the homemade garden stones and thought we would maybe help the kids do some of those with their handprints for her.

Any other ideas?

Mom-2-3-Girlz

Asked by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 2:09 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Holidays

• I'm glad you have a MIL that you care about. My MIL can't stand me. I honestly could care less if she does or not. My own Mother has passed away...so I'm not expecting a big Mom's day....my kids are on a budget and I want them to spend their money on things they need. Your idea is certainly a nice one , enjoy the day!

justalady774

Answer by justalady774 at 2:14 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• When my kids were younger we made my mom and my MIL a handprint calendar like the one found here http://www.littlegiraffes.com/handprintcalendar.html.  My mom still has hers, my MIL threw hers out and complained to my SIL that we didn't even get her a "real" gift.  I obviously don't have a  MIL like yours. /c:

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:15 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I have a pretty great MIL.. We are sending her a gift basket (since she is in India) it will have: a new set of gold bangles, a new sari, an embroirderd pashmina shawl.. My husband is thinking about adding something else to the gift, we aren't sure what yet. Probably a little something he knows his mother loves that we can get here in the States that she can't get in India. 

pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:16 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I'm glad to hear your mil is really nice to you and you have a great relationship with her mine is evil and we don't see eye to eye on alot of things but most she think i'm lazy and only in this relationship for her son's money. My mom passed away and I wish she was here with me.

LoriAnn87

Answer by LoriAnn87 at 2:19 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Pixie...that kind of gives me an idea. She is Japanese, and lived in Japan until she was over 30 years old, so maybe I could come up with something that she misses from over there that is hard for her to find here. I don't know how feasible that would be given the current circumstances there right now and the concern over radiation (especially with food items). Hmmmm...worth looking into though!

Those of you with MILs that are terrible...I'm sorry to hear it! I hope they realize someday that they are only putting distance between themselves and their kids and grandkids!
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Comment by Mom-2-3-Girlz (original poster) at 2:26 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I'm so glad to hear something nice about mother-in-laws. I'm afraid my mother in law cut off contact with my husband after marrying me, I was divorced and had a small son when we met, she never really got to know me, and the sad thing is, our boys are her only grandchildren. I would have liked a close relationship...we don't live far from each other, but have only seen her a couple of times in nearly 23 years of marriage.

I have 3 sons 19, 21 & 28, and I really hope to have a good relationship with all of their wives....so far so good with all the current girlfriends.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 2:27 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• My MIL always just loves it when we add something to a gift (or when we find something that just screams her and send it to her) that is uniquely from the States. My in-laws lived in the states for over 30 years, and they have been back in India for over 20 years now. So they lived here long enough to become pretty "Americanized" (yeah I know, not even a real word.. lol) in some ways.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:31 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I love my Mil, she is an amazing woman! Since she only had boys she missed out on some experience having daughters. My Sil and I are going to take her to lunch, shopping, and have a spa session in the afternoon. Not actually on Mothers day but it will be in celebration of it.
    RhondaJ

Answer by RhondaJ at 2:37 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I get along with my MIL in all aspects except breastfeeding. It's annoying. But I heart her and I love having her around. We made a wall hanging of the kids handprints out of plasterofparis and glitter pens for Christmas
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 2:59 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• My MIL is 88, nearly blind, in a wheelchair, and lives in a nursing home. Although her vision isn't good, I'm going to blow up pictures of our DD to make a little album for her. (We're behind on updating her collection!) I'm her son's second wife and our 17 month old is her only grandchild. I'm fortunate that I get along with her--she and 1st wife were not a good combination!
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 3:34 PM on Apr. 27, 2011