Do you actually believe this?

"people that don't believe in anything tend to do whatever they want and not caring about others!"

So, I ask in all seriousness, if I do not believe and suddenly convert, will I instantly be granted the ability to empathize, show compassion, and behave morally?

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 2:12 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think the truth is quite the opposite of that statement.

Answer by MeandMyBabes at 2:13 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Nope, not something I believe. Not in any way, shape or form.

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:14 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I don't find that to be true.

Answer by KateDinVA at 2:15 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Ignorance was speaking, best to ignore it

Answer by KristiS11384 at 2:15 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• No I don't think thats true.

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:16 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I don't believe morals and religion/faith have to necessarily go hand in hand. I have known people who claim to be atheist but were still good people with good values and morals. I think it has more to do with personal beliefs and choices than anything else. While I think if someone with no morals or faith decides to have a faith practice the faith would help dictate the morals, it is not the only way to obtain them. On the flip side there are those that claim to have faith and yet still have no real morals or values. Int he end compassion and empathy are taught, how they are taught can very person to person, for some faith may be involved for others it is just goof parenting or good judgment. Does that make sense?

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:18 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Where did you hear that???? I'm Christian and I know that some Christians can be VERY judgemental and hypocrital...definatly not displaying Christ-like behavior but I've never heard anything so ignorant in my life...coming out of ANYONES mouth!

Answer by Lucky209 at 2:18 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• by faith I mean ANY faith.- just to be clear.

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:20 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• No, I think that is total nonsense. I don't believe in anything and all my life I have had religion thrown in my face by family members and anyone who thinks I need to be converted. My whole family is hardcore mormon yet 2 of my uncles have been in prison for molestation and I have family members who are alcholics and have done hard core drugs. Its has nothing to do with morals. I have morals, I respect people, I have never done any crimes, and I'm an all around good person. Just because I don't believe in a "higher power" doesn't mean I'm a bad person. All the priests that rape little boys are they morally better then me because they are allowed to repent their sins and then be accepted by the lord again? I think the whole thing is just plain silly.

Answer by Eisleysmommy27 at 2:20 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• No I don't believe that, people have a brain and the ability to know right from wrong. I don't think belief in any particular thing can change your mind set. I'm by no means putting down catholics (plz don't read into it) but they could simply go to confession and be that's just not true in what you say

Answer by justalady774 at 2:20 PM on Apr. 27, 2011