How to fill out a race/ethnicity form?

So, I'm registering my daughter for school and there is a form asking information about her race and ethnicity. Here is what it says.......

Is your child Hispanic/Latino? yes or no
This question is about ethnicity, not race.

What is your child's race? American Indian, Asian, African American, Pacific Islander or Caucasion.

Here is the deilema.....my daughter is half Mexican and half caucasion. For her race, I want to put both, but it is not an option. When I look up the difference between the two, because of the way we are raising her and the culture we live by, she would not be considered hispanic ethnicity, but is a hispanic race.

What would you do? I want her placed in the multiracial category for reporting purposes. Maybe I should mark no for hispanic ethnicity and add a race choice to the form?

CJM_SHM

Asked by CJM_SHM at 2:17 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in

• ditto write it in. Nothing is black and white (no pun intended)
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 2:57 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Write it in.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 2:18 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• ditto christine0813
    grismelda

Answer by grismelda at 2:23 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• dont they have the "2 or more races" selection
    KiraStadnik

Answer by KiraStadnik at 2:25 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Don't they have an Other box where you can write in what's needed?
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 2:26 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• @kira - no they don't. They have a check box next to each of the options I listed above and that is all. Not even an other section like I remember them having last year. It says you may choose one or more for the race section, but those are the choices.
    CJM_SHM

Comment by CJM_SHM (original poster) at 2:27 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Of the choices, I would check Caucasian, and say YES for Hispanic.
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 2:32 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Thanks everyone! I added an option for hispanic in the race section. The reason I didn't want to put yes for hispanic in ethnicity and caucasion for race is because then she would simply be placed in the hispanic/latino category. I really feel its important for her to be placed in the multiracial, because she is :)
    CJM_SHM

Comment by CJM_SHM (original poster) at 3:00 PM on Apr. 27, 2011