I still have milk and I haven't breastfed in over a year. adult content

I feel my breast let down and in the shower sometimes some milk will come out. I had a MC about 7 months ago. I was 7 weeks along. Could that have anything to do with it? I had milk still before that though.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:19 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Health

• I had 2+ years between breastfeeding my middle son and being pregnant with number 3... And I never stopped having milk. Some of us simply produce it longer. It COULD be because of the hormones from your MC, but it could just simply be the norm for you.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:21 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• OK thanks!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:23 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• In the 10 years since the birth of my first child, I have NEVER stopped producing milk. Not while I was pregnant, not after weaning. Never. If I hear a hungry cry from a newborn, I still let down. lol
    I questioned whether or not I had a hormonal imbalance, or if there was something wrong. After all of the blood work, exams, tests... it came back that my hormone levels are perfectly normal, and that there is nothing "wrong". After quite a bit of research, I discovered that it is less common in our society because of the high number of women who do not brestfeed, but that after a significant amount of time nursing a child, a good percentage of us continue producing small amounts of milk even after weaning, sometimes indefinitely. I know someone who nurses their grandchild, she simply never stopped producing, and so when she babysits she does not have to worry about bottles. Kinda nifty.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:25 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• My youngest is 4 and I can STILL express at any time of day if I try (not very hard).
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 2:28 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Oh, I should add that she weaned at 9 months old too.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 2:29 PM on Apr. 27, 2011