Concrete Porch

My husband sprayed some kind of greasy stuff on sonthing that was sitting on our concrete porch. It left a huge grease spot. Any ideas on how to get rid of it?

daerca574

Asked by daerca574 at 2:36 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Maybe try scrubbing the spot with Dawn dish liquid (supposed to cut through grease). Or Dawn "Power Dissolver" (we use it on sticky greasy glass baking dishes and it works real well if you let it set a while before scrubbing.
    5BabyBees

Answer by 5BabyBees at 2:46 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• here is an idea

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview/id/206108.html

and another

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/article/0,,216043,00.html

Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 10:15 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Try sprinkling some cat litter on it if you have some. Then try cleaning.
    MrsDAP

Answer by MrsDAP at 2:51 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I agree to try Dawn. It is great stuff.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 6:43 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• The purpose of the cat litter is to pull the excess oil out of the cement. For larger stains, you might want to cover the cat litter with newpaper and leave overnight. Then remove the litter, and lightly cover the stain with powdered laundry detergent. Dampen the detergent just enough to make a paste and again cover and leave overnight.

The next day remove the detergent leaving just a thin layer of the detergent paste. Add water and use a heavy wire brush to scrub the area (you did say it was DH's car right? I'd put the brush in his hand). Push the brush in small circles, adding water and more of the paste as needed. Scrub some of the area just outside of the stain so that the unaffected concrete and the stained area have a similar shade.

You will be able to see some of the stain for a short time after the area has dried, but the remaining discoloration should fade away with time.

I just found this on google
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 6:44 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I ran out of space on the other one. But I did find the above answer on google so if Dawn does not work, maybe this one will work for you.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 6:46 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• My husband says kitty litter is like oil dry and may help. If that and Dawn don't work talk to the people at the hardware store.
    karischub

Answer by karischub at 7:29 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• try kitty litter
    ilovemyboys84

Answer by ilovemyboys84 at 8:54 PM on Apr. 27, 2011