I am questioning this question on my third grade science test. would you know it?

Infer - can animals breathe without lungs or gills? I just know - sitting here and marking it wrong over and over because the answer isnt commonly known - even though i know the book stated the fact - what do you think is the right answer...

AmaliaD

Asked by AmaliaD at 2:45 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in

• I am just now realizing that I may have actually gotten the answer to that wrong! Sad comment for someone with university courses on human biology behind her belt. I did not catch that there was a trick.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 4:16 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• IF it was stated in the book.... and the kids give the wrong answer... then it is wrong. EVEN if it isnt a commonly known fact, it WAS in the text they just read.

HOWEVER, having a 3rd grader I know that there are very few tests given that are strictly from the text and not from text AND lectures.

If that many kids are getting it wrong then the teacher needs to revise her lesson plan for next year and teach that bit more throughly.
    Anonymous

• Infer means to guess or make an educated guess based on the evidence of facts that you have in front of you.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:46 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Sponges and jellyfish lack specialized organs for gas exchange and take in gases directly from the surrounding water. Flatworms and annelids use their outer surfaces as gas exchange surfaces.

Quoted from http://www2.estrellamountain.edu/faculty/farabee/biobk/biobookrespsys.html
    CallMeAngie

Answer by CallMeAngie at 2:48 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• There are animals that respire without gills or lungs - all cnidarians, for example. Here's a link to a web page that talks about the lowly Hydra, for example. Flatworms, too.

Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 2:49 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• There are some animals who can breathe without lungs or gills. They actually breathe through their skin. I saw it on some discovery channel thing with this ugly frog.
    SleepyCupcake

Answer by SleepyCupcake at 2:49 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Of course we know the answer to that, but it is because we have a common understanding of biological process. Not many 3rd graders are able to visualize the process of O2 entering the system into the lungs, moving though the capillaries, and being pushed through the body by the heart.

The book may have stated that fact, but it is meaningless unless the process is understood. I think that was more of a process question.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 2:51 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Have to agree with Dr. Donna. We homeschool and my 3rd grader is studying sea life this year for science.
    Anonymous

• they were taught it with the examples of worms... i am less worried about the students, more about the parents - saying that is a stupid question - which it is sorta... so we are just making that one point extra credit.
    AmaliaD

Comment by AmaliaD (original poster) at 3:31 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• They should have asked it in a different way,, I consider animals to be warm blooded, so no,, but am dying to know what they think is the right answer?
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 3:31 PM on Apr. 27, 2011