If you don't believe in "God", but do believe in ghosts...

I'm always surprised when an atheist tells me that they believe in ghosts. 

From what I've seen, the only "evidence" for ghosts is either someone's eyewitness account of what they think they saw, or the use of some pseudo-science device.  I also hear people attempt use the second law thermodynamics to try to make their case for ghosts, but that's a pretty big leap and in no way actually proves there's ghosts (or any other kind of conscious afterlife). 

So, if you are someone who is generally a skeptic, yet believes in ghosts, how would you convince me beyond a shadow of a doubt that they are real?

Edit to add, due to confusion: I am an atheist.  I do not believe in "God" or any other supernatural beings.

Eek_a_Geek

Asked by Eek_a_Geek at 2:52 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I'm sorry, I did make the wrong assumption. Forgive my error...I'll try to be more mindful next time.
    Please read my question as though it were written to a hypothetical person instead... then disregard it completely for being off topic.
    To reanswer your original question:
    A ghost believing atheist would make me question how they came to be atheist and the foundation for that belief. It does seem very contradictory. I'm positive they would not be a person who follows the works of Dawkins who embraces science and logic . I would have to conclude that their atheist beliefs are from another place entirely....perhaps some facet of spiritualism.
    CallMeAngie

Answer by CallMeAngie at 4:43 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I don't understand it either except maybe they've encountered a trick of the light or something and interpreted it as a ghost. So an "experience" but they lack that in terms of deities.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 3:05 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Just because science hasn't proven what the phenomenon is yet, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. IMO, there is evidence enough coupled with my own personal experiences to make me believe that what you call 'ghosts' exist. Although, as I've said numerous times, I do not think they are the disembodied souls of dead people, but it's the natural energy that remains behind after death that is responsible for the activity.

Until that field is looked upon as legit- which won't happen as long as people continue to hoax and religious superstition still permeates society's thinking- we'll never get the funding, credibility and evidence to prove anything regarding the paranormal.

If science gave me evidence for god, then I'd have no choice but to accept it as real- although I doubt I'd worship it.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 3:35 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Good question Eek. Givin u a bump.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 7:30 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• So, if you are someone who is generally a skeptic, yet believes in ghosts, how would you convince me beyond a shadow of a doubt that they are real? I wouldn't.  Unless you had your own personal experience, I'd be wasting my breath even trying. It's not my style to attempt to convince you of something  like that.

2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:34 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• People have faith in lots of things. Ghosts are just one of them.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 12:21 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Anonymous, that's silly. Please tell me you're kidding with that answer.
    Eek_a_Geek

Comment by Eek_a_Geek (original poster) at 3:00 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• So, if you are someone who is generally a skeptic, yet believes in ghosts, how would you convince me beyond a shadow of a doubt that they are real?

maybe it's me but that doesn't make much sense...how/why would a skeptic try to convice you that it's real
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 3:09 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I don't get it. I am a Christian and believe whole heartedly in God, but the idea of ghosts just makes me shake my head. Nothing can ever convince me that a bunch of dead people are roaming around trying to stick their noses in my business.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 3:10 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• (quote: charlotsomtimes) "maybe it's me but that doesn't make much sense...how/why would a skeptic try to convice you that it's real"
    ===
    That's kind of the root of my question. I don't understand how someone who considers themselves to be a skeptic can believe in ghosts, and yet I am constantly seeing posts from women who claim to be atheist (or agnostic with strong atheist leanings), who say they do.
    Eek_a_Geek

Comment by Eek_a_Geek (original poster) at 3:16 PM on Apr. 27, 2011