How do I get my cat to stop biting?

Recently my 10 month old kitten has started to bite when you pet his back .. I don't mean a nip either he takes blood! I don't let my kids touch his head because I worry about his ears and eyes being stabbed by fingers and his tail is off limits to them as well.

I am about to the point where he is going to become an outdoor cat if he doesn't stop!

We've slapped him, sprayed him with water and told him no. what are our options?

zoejains_momma

Asked by zoejains_momma at 2:55 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Pets

• Just pet him where he wants to be petted and please don't slap him-he won't understand. My cat suddenly started "attacking" me at times and it took me a while to realize that maybe he was trying to play (cats can play really rough) since he did it when I would get on the floor to do situps. I guess he figured I was in his "teritory" and being "submissive" and in a "cat play" posture but I would just get away from him when he would get like that. He also would nip if petted too long and I have heard that is common-too much stimulation for them and they don't know how to handle it. Yours is just a kitten so he may just grow out of this phase. Cats are funny sometimes-tell the kids not to pet his back - that he does not like it. I agree though it does not leave many places to pet him since his head is off limits to them too. :-)
    confused969

Answer by confused969 at 3:44 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• have a handy spray bottle !
    some cats/kittens just like to be on you and around you but not actually petted lol.. my 10 month old kitten did that last night.. you couldn't touch her or she'd haul off bite and craddle your arm so you can't get away but once let go, she just laid next to my leg touching me... crazy kitty..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:00 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Each cat has their own personality and likes and dislikes. I had one cat that was the sweetest, most protective babysitter for us as we were kids. But, boy! You couldn't pet her past her neck! That was a different cat. Just teach your kids to pet the cat where he likes to be petted. And if he doesn't like to be petted- cats don't respond well to negative reinforcement- then teach your kids to play with him, but that he doesn't like cuddle time.

It's rough with cats sometimes, but he's part of your family now. He needs his respect just like everyone else in your home.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 3:04 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• we've had this cat for months and he suddenly developed this thing overnight. he has bit my better half 3 times now
    zoejains_momma

Comment by zoejains_momma (original poster) at 3:09 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I promise I get what you are saying.. our Meeshka ( the kitten ) was the sweetest ,. a lover, cuddler and now she's like a maniac - she won't sleep with my ( used to be ON Me ) and she's doing crazy eights at 4am attacking our 2 10 year old cats - I am hoping this is their version of "terrible 2's and 3's " lol!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:12 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I'll hope the same then.. maybe it's temporary insanity lol
    zoejains_momma

Comment by zoejains_momma (original poster) at 3:13 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• don't pet his back....
    respect his wishes

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:26 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• if i don't pet his back where am I supposed to pet him? He rubs on me do I just give him a pat on the head like a dog and leave?
    zoejains_momma

Comment by zoejains_momma (original poster) at 3:28 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Tabasco sauce. Don't rub your eye and wash off before going to the bathroom.
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 3:29 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• pet his cheeks , I give my athena scratches on the top of the head in between her ears cause she doesn't like to be touched. maybe he hurt his back being crazy lately? I give Thor tushes scratches lol!~ 2 of the 3 like under the chin too!!~
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:32 PM on Apr. 27, 2011