Anyone know how to make a homemade banana pudding? (without any instant pudding mixes)

Kat52971

Asked by Kat52971 at 3:02 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Yep!!!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:08 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Oh please tell me your recipe.
    Kat52971

Comment by Kat52971 (original poster) at 3:16 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• The pudding is 3/4 C. sugar, 1/3 c. flour (or 3 T. cornstarch), a pinch of salt. Stir together and add 2 c. milk. Cook over med. heat until mixture begins to thicken. Then temper 3 slightly beaten egg yolks and add to the first mixture. Cook for about 2 minutes more 'til very thick. Remove from heat and add 2 T. butter and 1 tsp. vanilla. In a greased casserole, place a layer of vanilla wafers, a layer of sliced bananas, and about a third of the pudding. Repeat layers 2 more times. I then make a meringue of the 3 egg white, spread on top and bake at 350 for about 15 minutes or 'til golden brown. Been making it like this for more than 46 years, and it is yummy!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:23 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I prefer a cold pudding with no meringue ( I can't stand the stuff) so I make a homemade vanilla pudding but I put banana extract in instead of vanilla. Then I let the pudding completely cool before layering it. If it's warm it makes the bananas taste funny. I top it with whipped cream with a touch of the banana extract in it. It's soo good!
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:31 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• ShadowRaven

Answer by ShadowRaven at 3:35 PM on Apr. 28, 2011