Laser labial frenectomy?

I took my boys to the dentist this morning, and the dentist recommended a laser labial frenectomy, because he has a gap between his front teeth. He said it's a painless procedure, but I'm just worried about the pain AFTERWARDS. Has anyone had this done or have your children had it done? My son is 9, BTW.

Bethsunshine

Asked by Bethsunshine at 3:07 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Health

• As someone who would have benefitted from that procedure 40 years ago (and whose DD may be eligible) I can say that a few minutes of pain would have prevented years of orthodonture. It may well be worth the risk of discomfort. Talk with your son, he might not be as worried about this as you.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 3:49 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• owie! I just looked it up. How is THAT painless??? Removing the gum from the bone??!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:21 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• It's removing a piece of tissue and they won't be using scalpels or anything, just a laser. They're not cutting his gums or anything like that.
    Bethsunshine

Comment by Bethsunshine (original poster) at 3:26 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Is it absolutely necessary that it be done?
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 3:28 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• The denitst said if he gets this done, he shouldn't have to get braces and he needs to get it done now before his canines come in.
    Bethsunshine

Comment by Bethsunshine (original poster) at 3:31 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Wow I have never heard about that. Pro's vs cons. You have to decide which one is better.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 7:52 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• A lady at my church who is a dental assistant, explained to my son last night what the procedure is about and told him it is very quick and doesn't hurt.
    Bethsunshine

Comment by Bethsunshine (original poster) at 8:25 AM on Apr. 28, 2011