How much do you/your kids generally raise for school and/or sports fund raisers?

We do what we can, but we get so many from school and sports that it gets a bit ridiculous asking the same people over and over to order. When DH dropped off our latest fund raiser, the man behind him had raised what we think is an OUTRAGEOUS amount of money, I have no idea how he did it...I'm curious how much you generally raise, or what the most you've ever raised for one of these things. I'm talking about the usual chocolate, cookie dough, pizza kit, etc. type fund raisers.

gramsmom

Asked by gramsmom at 3:13 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in General Parenting

• we have the same problem. i have four kids and they don't allow you to go door to door anymore and family gets tired of being asked over and over again. My guess is that he is doing something like that or using the internet to get the money.
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 3:15 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• we don't do fundraisers
    I'd rather have the school ask for a dollar amount for what they want and give it to them.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:18 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I don't do fund raisers for anything other than charity. My daughter going on a field trip or playing soccer isn't charity if I can afford it, IMO. I give money to the school or sports organizations instead.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 3:22 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• We home school so we don't do fundraisers for that (even though some co-ops do). Our kids are not into sports (thank goodness) so we don't have that to worry about. We do sell girl scout cookies and this year our daughter sold 500 boxes, top seller in our area. I read that the top seller in the nation this year sold just under 4,000 and she was in the next council over. I'm thinking she probably did some online selling (even though we are not supposed to) in order to get that mind of results. I would like to add, though, that the girls themselves only see $.50 per box so as a leader I would rather parents donate money to our troop than push their daughters to sell copious amounts of cookies.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:23 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I happen to work for a company that assists 501C3 organizations to raise funds - WITHOUT the parents or kids having to go out and sell anything. It is a really good program and I would encourage any of you who are worn out by all the fund raising to shoot me a message in how to get details to the people making the decisions.
    As an Aunt and friend of school age kids - we have just had to say "NO" to all of the fundraisers. There were so many, all of the time, that if we couldn't buy something from all of the kids, we felt that we couldn't buy from any of them. It was the same at work, especially when it was Girl Scout Cookie time - there were so many parents that brought in the flyers, that I just had to say "NO" to them all (or end up with hundreds of boxes of cookies in the freezer!) It has just gotten to be too much!
    mrslabel

Answer by mrslabel at 3:26 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I adore fundraisers, for our school, sports and church! we raise tons, but we are military and far away family send checks all the time for those things!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 3:39 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• For sports we normally do buy outs where we pay a higher registration fee then the people who sell the fundraiser...For school, I pick and choose which ones we do, and I only ever get orders from my grandparents and parents...
    MelissaBK

Answer by MelissaBK at 3:51 PM on Apr. 27, 2011