How many stay at home Mommies get out of the house for play dates and such?

I'm concerned about my DIL and grandson. They don't get out of the house much during the week and I just don't know how she maintains her sanity. Mind you, she never complains - she seems content and our grandson is doing just fine, maybe just a tad slow at verbalizing, but I just know that getting out with other people once in a while is so refreshing to your mindset! What do you think?

mrslabel

Asked by mrslabel at 3:21 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in General Parenting

• Check and see if there is a local MOMS Club chapter in your area. I know it made a huge difference for me, although if she's not complaining about it, you might have to approach it from the perspective of socialization being good for your grandson. Hope that helps. Good luck!  http://momsclub.org/ 

JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 3:24 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Well, we grocery shop all day on Fridays, Saturdays we go to DS horse back riding and sometimes a friends house Sunday we do something as a family when we can.. During the week we may go to the park once but no, I guess we don't do much on week days. During the summer when DS is home we will do more.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:23 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• You can always suggest she go out to the park or something. Maybe invite her for a picnic to the park? If she seems content, I wouldn't worry. Everyone is different and has different social needs.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 3:24 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I enjoy getting out with my DD for MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) and the occasional playdate, but I find that sometimes it is more stressful to "get out" than to stay in! Especially if she is more of an introvert.
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 3:25 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I think everyone does what is best for them. When I first started staying home I didn't know a lot of other moms and I wasn't sure how to go about finding play groups. Since we were going into summer I just spend most of my time with kids either going to the park or local pools or staying home. After 6 months I couldn't stand it so I started really looking into play groups. School had also started so it made life easier because my oldest was in Kindergarten and my middle one was in preschool. I meet a lot of parents that way and started going to play groups. That was over 9 years ago and I have to say while taking the first step was hard I am glad I did because those moms are my best friends.

Maybe she just isn't sure about play groups or how her child will react to them. You could maybe talk to her a little although I won't worry to much. Everyone is different.

cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 3:25 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• sometimes getting out is much harder than staying in, esp with multiple children. i go nuts staying in, but also go nuts getting out! haha
    mohme2three

Answer by mohme2three at 3:25 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I don't do playdates. Not everyone is a social person. I have little interest in socializing outside of the internet. I don't get along well with other woman my age and seem to have a differing philosophy in raising kids so I don't get along with other mothers (who disagree with my parenting).
    I don't have a problem with it. I'm content to just sit at home and do my own thing. When I do go out it's with my husband to go grocery shopping and out to eat. My kids play with other kids in the neighborhood.
    Going into social settings (like playdates and outings with other mothers) is not refreshing to me. It is extremely stressful and after 10 minutes I wish I was at home and I'm all stressed out.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:28 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I am a SAHM who homeschools, and we're out maybe 50% of the time. Library, library events, sports or other activities, running errands, etc.
    Anonymous

• I used to, but with gas being so high.. we stay at home a lot more.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 3:30 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I don't do a lot of playdates because I'm not a very social person. But sometimes we have some kids their ages come over (one turns 3 in July and the other just turned 1). We go out and about with my mom a lot though and we'll go to the playplace at the mall or to the park. My oldest has grown up with a cousin who is only a couple weeks older than her which was nice. Every Saturday both of our families usually go to my parents' house so they've played together a lot. In a couple months my oldest is going to be able to start horseback riding lessons and my youngest might start a mommy and me class at the Little Gym. I love getting them out and about other kids but I just don't have a lot of actual friends who have kids so the playdates don't happen often. The weeks that we stay home a lot they still have each other to play with. :-)
    GodsAmiga

Answer by GodsAmiga at 3:57 PM on Apr. 27, 2011