Sahm to many children--this is for you!

My husband and I just had our 4th child 6 weeks ago! (actually my third, because i have a step daughter) Im a stay at home mama to my 3.. ages 5, 18 months, & newborn. I have my step daughter lots also, so its always us 4 or us 5.. my hubby works crazy hours, & lots of them!

im just trying to keep up w/ the house... i can keep up with the craziness of taking care of these little ones, because its so much fun, but we also make a huge mess in the process!! The baby also had severe acid reflux, so its like he is colic all day long, so i rarely put him down because he just screams. I pick up the living room soooo many times a day, who doesnt!! i vacuum at least 4 times a day ( lots of leaves and stuff from in and out of the house where we live, dust, & food crumbs constantly!!) I feel like on my down time from them, which comes rare or for a few moments, im cleaning and busting my butt to pick up things. they do a great job picking up their toys, but theres always so much stuff and dirt and dishes and laundry..wow, i cant even believe how much laundry we have nonstop!

anyway here is my question... i have friends (without kids) and even some family that will tell me i need to clean, or why is my sink full or dishes, or when am i going to attempt the huge pile of laundry (that comes EVERY DAY, so obviously im doing it) or why do i have toys out and la la la.. some of my friends say, "when i have kids, my house will be spotless and they wont be dirty" oh please. My brother, always says when he has kids his house is not going to be a hectic mess. Im starting to feel like im failing because im constantly re cleaning everything, but someone always has something to say. How do you keep your houses clean? or at least keep up with the daily routine of life with so many children?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:23 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in General Parenting

• Heck, I have one teen and I can't keep my house anywhere close to clean. I work full-time and basically don't feel like I need a super spotless house. Kudos to you for even coming way closer than I do.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:25 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I have two under 4 and struggle to keep up with the house as well. Don't feel like a failure. It's just par for the course.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 3:28 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I have 5 kids (10, 9, 8, 5 and 9 months). I only clean when I feel like it. Today I cleaned up the kitchen and 1 living room. The other living room and dining room are a mess and I refuse to clean it since I don't go in there and didn't make any of the mess. There is tons of laundry to do. With 7 people there is ALWAYS laundry to do. I don't worry about it. The kids rooms are a mess because I've been sick the last week and my husband doesn't bother to make them clean up.
    I have no interest in spending my day cleaning up. I'm not the maid and have more important things to do with my life then clean up after people all day long.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:33 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Honestly I have 5 kids and I am an army wife and they are ages 8,5,4,1 and 4 monthes, and I have a spotless home all the time ( unless I am sick) I clean 2 hours every moring, and 2 every evening, I am a neat freak and expect my home to be company ready at all times! Not everyone is uncapable of keeping up their home with allot of kids! I happen to love perfection and I strive for it, I even deep clean my carpets once a week, and keep up with laundry, I dust daily, always have the carpets vacuumed, and clean all bathrooms, all bedrooms are cleand to perfection, and I still volunteer, and do PTA and have more than enough play time with my kids in between! It is not impossible, BUT noone should bring you sown for how you handle things, you will get it eventually!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 3:35 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I don't have kids yet, but I am 36 weeks pregnant and I have a 6 week old puppy. I find it hard to keep up with my house right now and I'm sure it won't get any easier lol. I think your family and friends should be more understanding. You're doing what you can.
    fricky29

Answer by fricky29 at 3:37 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I have a dd who will be 6 Friday then I also have a 3 year old and I am 25 weeks pregnant. My friends don't say anything, but my mom or grandma is always telling me I need to clean my house or I need to get off the computer so much (which mind you they never come over for one they just assume and 2 I am not on the computer all that much) anyway, my house is messy at times, but I do clean, do dishes, laundry things like that and my house still gets messy. I sweep my floors (hardwood) at least 5 times a day doing dishes at least 2 times a day and then I am doing laundry all day long and they still say I need to clean my house. With little ones around I don't think you will ever be able to keep up with them. I was able to with my first having one child, but with 2 I can't do it lol
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 3:38 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I have 3 kids under 6 and as soon as I clean something the kids destroy it right away. I do try to do 1 or 2 loads of laundry everyday and usually only pickup up toys at bedtime. I use flylady to help give me some kind of system but do what works for you. I know how hard it is to stay on tp of things with lots of little ones. It is far more important to spend time with them than to make sure your house is spotless. If your friends are going to complain than I would invite them over to help you clean or watch the kids for a few hours so you can get some things done.
    Congrats on your new baby!
    lil_angel00

Answer by lil_angel00 at 3:43 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I am not trying to be judgemental, I simply think that most people who do not accomplish a clean, clutter free home everyday are simply procrastinating! The General of the post could come in my home at any time and it would be spotless! and 3 out of 5 of my kids are home all day! and the 4th is home 1/2 the day ( pre-K). And the thing is I still have tons of time for my kids ( we have outdoor hour, craft hour, and freetime) Plus every Thursday we have famly game night and on Sunday we have family fun day ( which is the zoo, park, hiking, beach etc.) I is a matter of dealing with life, getting up and cleaning, anf getting up every 1/2 hour to reclean and touch up! I honestly dont get how people cant keep a home clean either! SORRY!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 3:44 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I have 2 under 3 and I'm in the same boat! Lol! My husband makes me feel like a failure about it though instead of other people. The laundry is the hardest one for me. I keep trying to get into a routine but with the girls things are constantly changing and no matter how many times I try to get onto a schedule it just doesn't happen. Speaking of which...I need to get up and vacuum again. Lol!
    GodsAmiga

Answer by GodsAmiga at 3:51 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Shortly after my third was born, I did a total top to bottom cleaning of the house. My husband took the kids and I cleaned. The house looked GREAT! Then they came home. My house is clean, but not spottless. If the crumbs are all over, limit snacks and meals, of course, to the kitchen only. I don't know how many times I sweep in a day out there. I wish my friends and family would complain to me about my house. I would happily hand them the items they would need to clean it themselves! =)
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 5:11 PM on Apr. 27, 2011