Help wth my whinny 3 year old.

Oh my gosh I can't take it anymore she turned 3 in January and it is like she is in the tarable 2s all over again. I have a 6 year old so I know it really doesn't get better, but I can't take it anymore. All she does is whin and or cry since she turned 3. She gets mad cause her sister is touching her or doing something she doesn't want her to do that isn't even bothering her. I thought it was because I can't get her to take naps anymore, but even when she does take a nap she is still like this. I am pregnant and on my last nerve with her. I will send her to her room because I can't take it anymore and she will scream like I beat her. Help me please I am on my last nerve and I don't know what else to do. She will also throw a fit when she doesn't get her way and I don't ever give in when I say no, but she will cry and the crying I can't deal with. She will even ask you for something if I tell her no she will say please I say no she says pleassssse I will say no she will keep saying pleasssseeeee and whin and cry even though she knows I am not going to give in so I send her to her room and the crying really gets to me when she does it all day long. Mostly cause she isn't getting her way or she doesn't want her sister messing with her or she gets mad at the dog

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:26 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in General Parenting

• Sounds like a "strong willed " child..which my son is.. you need to read books on how to communicate with strong willed lol..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:34 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Well my dd is nearly 3 and she's been getting more of a whine lately too. The first time she whines I tell her, "Do not use your whine. Use your words." The second time she whines I tell her one of two things (it depends on my mood really-lol!). Either, "You can either stop the whining and stay down here and play. Or you can choose to continue whining and go to your room." Or I'll just say, "If you continue whining you will go to your room. Do you understand me?" She knows to say, "Yes ma'am" if I ask that. Then if she whines again/continues to whine then up to her room she goes. I let her know that when she is ready to stop whining and behave herself she is allowed to come out and come back downstairs to play. So she'll go up and depending on if she's really moody or was just testing me she'll be back out in anywhere from a couple minutes to 20 minutes later. She isn't too bad yet with whining but if she's in an extra whiny
    GodsAmiga

Answer by GodsAmiga at 3:38 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• basicly shut it down - sit her down and tell her when she whines she doesnt get what she wants... ever!

same with the please please... dont ever change your answer as a result of her begging - instead if she asks more than once send her to her room to phase it out = it will be a LOT of punishment at first because you have to rewire her brain ...
    make certain that her misbehaviors result in punishment always and she knows she has caused the punishment.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 3:43 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• mood I'll make sure to remind her throughout the day to use her asking words and that if we say no to something then it's non-negotiable. I've been using that word with her since she was less than a year so she knows what it means. Lol! The biggest thing is to be consistent. Keep staying firm and use the same technique-for lack of a better word. I also give my dd choices throughout the day and that helps a lot. I let her choose what coat she wants to wear; I'll let her choose between two different pairs of shoes; I let her pick out her clothes if she wants (I make sure to only have weather friendly stuff in her drawers); I'll let her pick between a couple different choices for snack (I like to keep control over breakfast/lunch/dinner though). Basically if there's something that I don't mind giving her a choice about I'll give her that opportunity. She loves it! She likes feeling independent and she likes feeling like she has
    GodsAmiga

Answer by GodsAmiga at 3:45 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I honestly think age 3 is harder than age 2. If my children whine they either go to their rooms or they have a timeout. If they are asking for something I make them ask me again in a big boy/girl voice.
    lil_angel00

Answer by lil_angel00 at 3:46 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• some control over her day. Cuts down on the whining a lot because when it comes to something that is non-negotiable she doesn't mind as much since she knows she'll have a choice later down the road. Anyways, I'm sorry for the long answer! Lol!
    GodsAmiga

Answer by GodsAmiga at 3:46 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• that is like now she is on the couch whinning and kicking her legs because an easter egg she has in her hand came open and she can't shut it so she is stairing at me whinning, but I told her I don't know what she wants when she whins so she kicks more and whins more. But the thing is she knows I wont give in and she knows she will have to go to her room if she doesn't stop, but yet she still does it.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:51 PM on Apr. 27, 2011