Which is more harmful??

That 1 in 4 kids in America are being raised by a single parent or that our society or that our society is so desensitized to it?

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 3:35 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• As a society we've become not only desensitized to the idea of single parent households, but even more so, we've become desensitized at the AGE at which GIRLS are having babies, and becoming single parent households!!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:33 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Single parents arent the devil Ann Coulture makes them out to be

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 3:35 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Why is the choice between a single loving parent and two parents who hate and argue? That's such a stupid arguement. Why not a choice between a single loving parent and two loving parents? Or how about a miserable mean single parent and two loving caring parents? Now, which one would you choose?

Single parents are not the devil. But neither is it ideal, imo.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 3:41 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Neither. I would rather a child be in a stable loving single parent household than a two-parent household where the parents argue and hate each other. There is no proof whatsoever that children raised by a single parent are any worse off than one raised by two parents.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 3:37 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I think it is a shame we are desensitized. It is also a shame that people marry/shack up without fully knowing each other..following the feel good.....only to later discover they are incompatible. Why the rush? It is also a shame people often divorce instead of actually trying to work out their differences.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 4:58 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Neither...

My kid isn't warped from being a single child. I know some severely warped kids that grew up in a two parent household.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:39 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Agree with superchicken
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 3:43 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• That is a good point adnilm. Single parents are far more likely to live in poverty and require public assistance.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 3:54 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• That is so true, Lori! Our local HS has a nursery on campus . . . THAT is how accepted it has become.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 6:36 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I was raised by 2 really sick parents. I have had issues to sort out. It left its mark. I was a single parent. I thought that was less than ideal. I believe that children need fathers and mothers. This is not an ideal world. Single parenthood happens. I was less than brilliant to allow myself to get pregnant. I encouraged my daughter to use abstinence, but if not, please use birth control. It is easier to have a partner when raising a child - if the partner is a functioning mature adult.
    KrazeeKatLady

Answer by KrazeeKatLady at 7:59 PM on Apr. 27, 2011