MOPS (mothers of pre-schoolers) ... ?

Is it always church based. I looked it up in my area and all I saw was a HUGE Baptist church and a Pretty big Methodist church. Are they all big church things? Can you join if you aren't a member of the church.. or faith? I might call one tomorrow...

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 3:45 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My understanding is that they often meet in church facilities (they are available and low cost) but aren't religiously affiliated. I've seen them meet at synagogues and community centers.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 4:00 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Our (Lutheran) church did this a few years ago!!!! I haven't seen it listed in the church bulletin for a long time and think it is because the gal that headed it up switched churches!!! I would definitely call them and get more info from them!!! My friend holds what she calls a Mommy, Music & Me class at our church. Anyone is welcome, it is just convenient to have a place that has a large room like our church!! GL!
    dragonflylovr19

Answer by dragonflylovr19 at 4:00 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Well I think there are options here (MInnesota ) to go through your church but I opted to go through our early childhood community program which has many options of preschooling.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:03 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I sometimes go to one that's held at a church that I don't go to. There's also one nearby that's at a Catholic church but it's open to all moms. As far as I know it isn't religious based although many of the moms will usually end up being from that church since it's probably the closest one to them. :-)
    GodsAmiga

Answer by GodsAmiga at 4:07 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I think they just use the facilities at churches. You aren't required to be affiliated with the church.
    karischub

Answer by karischub at 6:11 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• My DD attends pre school through the park district. There are also COOP pre schools in my area. Some are even affiliated with the public schools. I just did a Google search, and a TON came up.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 7:46 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Our preschool is thru the public school district.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 8:06 PM on Apr. 27, 2011