Cursive Writing

My son is in 2nd grade and they have started learning cursive writing. The other day he was showing me how he is doing with some of the letters and words, than asked me to write words and letters in cursive.

I have not written in cursive in years. My cursive writing looked like someone just starting and some of the letters I had to think about how to do it, plus how to keep the letters together.

I am printing or typing everything.

I had read an article in a magazine where a mom said her 4th grader struggled with cursive writing cause she typed/texted and printed everything. So she thought this style of writing would soon go away.

If you are not a cursive writer, have you lost most of this too?

virginiamama71

Asked by virginiamama71 at 3:48 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Just for Fun

• My writing is combination of the two anyway! I think I could still write cursive if I took my time. I can still read it. A lot of older documents are written in cursive or script so I can see how it would still be important to learn.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:50 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I lost all of it! I was trying to sign (the reason it will never go away) my fiancee's last name and i stumbled!
    Anonymous

• Yeah I've lost most of it...when I do write in cursive it's a strange mix of cursive and print...hard to explain lol...alot of schools don't teach it anymore....I guess I'll have to brush up on it before mine gets to 2nd grade lol
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 3:51 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Wow, I write in cursive a LOT. LOL I didn't realize people didn't.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:53 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• OMG yes!!! im only 21 and i NEVER use cursive.... i print type or text i dont see the point in cursive...
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 3:54 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I write in cursive a lot. All of my journals, prayers, etc. are written in cursive, as well as anything written "formally".

I have taken to printing more recently, just to write notes to my kindergartener and when I want to make sure she can read it. I had to "get schooled" in the proper way to print, though! I didn't make all of my letters the same as her teacher/school taught and I had to reteach myself. I still have problems remembering that darned tail/downstroke on a lowercase u!
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 3:57 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I use cursive every day! I print also, but not as much. I had seen a news report that said the schools were going to drop this from the curriculum. I think it is a huge mistake, personally. I am blown away by the number of you who are struggling with it, too! I guess it's just another dieing art that is going away with the era of technology. Now, I can't text and half the time don't understand the acconyms associated with it! I can't tell you how many times I had to ask my kids - what does LOL mean? Gosh, now that I think back on that I'm
    ROFLMAO!!!
    mrslabel

Answer by mrslabel at 4:00 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• It's actually gotten better-lol! For some reason I've re-learned some of the upper case letters that I'd forgotten how to do. When I'm writing a poem or story or just thoughts in a journal it usually ends up going from printing to cursive to printing to cursive...sometimes in the middle of a word! Lol!
    GodsAmiga

Answer by GodsAmiga at 4:06 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I guess I've taken so many notes in school and at work that I've never thought about NOT writing in cursive. I guess like anything, if you don't use it you lose it!
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 4:16 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I write in cursive a lot. I was upset that my son's class only had 6 lessons on cursive writing in 3rd grade. They do not think it is a relevant subject.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 7:55 PM on Apr. 27, 2011