Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

How can we get custody of my step-daughter? I think bm is abusive!!!! (sorry long)

I really need some advice from anyone who knows anything about custody! My step-daughter is 12yrs old, lives in a different state, and is forbidden to talk to me( but we still talk almost everyday) She is a really sweet girl with a huge heart! The problem is she has confided in me that her mother has slapped her,shaken her, pulled hair ect.. My sd has recently been acting out at school violently( she kicked a boy for making fun of her)and is also showing signs of severe anxiety like wanting me to stay on the phone with her for an hour or two cause she is home alone, then panicking and needing to hang up when her mom is on her way home! She has also told me that her mom says horrible things to her about her Father ( who adores her) like, Your dad has a new family he doesn't care about you, he never comes to see you,(bm moved 8 hrs away and makes visits almost impossible! He only loves his other daughter My step-daughter has said that she would like to live with us but is terrified of her mother! (dd mentioned it once b4 and it was a DISASTER!!) I would really appreciate any advice!! Thanks

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 4:05 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

Answers (5)
  • You need a lawyer and ASAP! I think that she is old enough to decide where she would like to live,, you husband should have filed an order to prevent her from leaving the state, but I think you can get custody of her,,or perhaps if BM is just worried about child support, offer to pay it anyway even if she gives you the kiddo, then file a motion in your state once you have custody.

    Answer by kimigogo at 4:10 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

  • In some states children that age can make a choice as to which parent they want to live with. Talk to an attorney.

    Answer by meooma at 4:10 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

  • Noboby really understands that the children are the ones who suffer the most in these cases. emotionally, mentally, physically.

    For sure call an attorney. call and see id someone from DCS will answer your questions about the child's nerviousness and what all she tells you.

    Answer by kkbird at 4:28 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

  • Call and attorney and report what your stepdaughter has said. If your daughter ever has marks or bruises she needs to take pics and send them to you. She also needs to tell a teacher, principal or school counselor that her mother is abusing her and she doesn't feel safe.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:36 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

  • Get a lawyer.

    Answer by Shaken1976 at 10:30 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.