What is your understanding of a "soul"?

If this has been asked before forgive me but something struck me in an earlier post so I thought I would ask. What is your understanding of a soul? What makes it so? Why do you believe animals do not have souls? Can they not feel? Do they not show emotions? Do they not show love, compassion, understanding, intelligence, obedience and other feelings like humans?

jujubean1979200

Asked by jujubean1979200 at 4:17 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Religious Debate

• The soul is that part of a human being which is made up of his mind, will, and emotions. The other parts of man are his spirit and his body. Thus, man is a triune being--body, soul, and spirit--made in the triune image of God--Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:20 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• What we are,our true selves
    this body is just the vehicle we ride around in
    we are energy. it cannot be made or destroyed,only changed in form

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:21 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• " Our soul is is what sets us apart from other creatures"

How so? What makes us different from animals, when it comes to our souls? Saying we were creatd in gods image doesn't cut it.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 4:49 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Depending on the definition, I really don't think I believe in the concept of a "soul", except perhaps when it is considered a synonym for "mind".
    Eek_a_Geek

Answer by Eek_a_Geek at 4:49 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• A soul is the very essence of who we are. It is our very "being", our energy. It is the part of us that lives within our physical shell...and animals have souls as well. You need only look in their eyes and see it.
    The eyes are the windows to our souls b/c our eyes can depict the very depth of our emotions, when we have no words for them.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 4:28 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• "because animals weren't created in the image of God. "

So what. All the more reason for animals TOO have souls. They are innocent, and pure. Not corrupt humans who need to beg for forgiveness. So I'm still not getting how this implies animals have no souls, yet imperfect beings do?! Makes no sense.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 5:02 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I am not totally comfortable with the word 'soul' because I think it implies a permanence that I do not intend. I consider 'soul' to be akin to 'life force' or 'energy.' What is the difference between living and dead? A living body has an energy that animates it, a dead one does not. That is what I mean if/when I use the word 'soul.' But generally I would rather say 'energy' or 'life.'
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:16 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I believe a soul in a life force of a living thing.. what animates all living things. I believe all living things have souls.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 4:20 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I have never heard that before Nanny. Very interesting viewpoint. Confusing but cool.
    jujubean1979200

Comment by jujubean1979200 (original poster) at 4:21 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Exactly my opinion butterfly. I believe it is nothing more than energy and people have since thought the "soul" (lifeforce) was important for an afterlife yet to say animals do not have it to me is silly but hey...that is just my belief
    jujubean1979200

Comment by jujubean1979200 (original poster) at 4:23 PM on Apr. 27, 2011