Do you think letting a child dress out of age is abusive?

Talking on the phone with a friend and we got on this topic.

Do you think these parents who let their young preteen daughters dress in skin tight clothes, belly shirts, booty shorts, heels and make up abusing their kids by not allowing them have a childhood?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:25 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• i think they're attracting the wrong kind of attention to their daughters and they're asking for trouble
    -lovingliam-

Answer by -lovingliam- at 4:27 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• It could be seen that way. It could also be looked upon as putting them more at risk to be the victim of some sexual predator by making them appear to be older than they really are.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:27 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Not abusive... but destructive
    amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 4:29 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• My dd is eight and I don't let her show to much skin. In fact tank tops with spaghetti straps are pretty much out. Belly tops are out. She dresses conservatively.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 4:32 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• No, a lot of kids want to dress older then they are. It might be poor parenting skills but they're not hurting the child.
    Eisleysmommy27

Answer by Eisleysmommy27 at 4:27 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• No. They're just being irresponsible.
    proudmom2510

Answer by proudmom2510 at 4:27 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• No, every poor judgement does not fall under the category of abuse. Is it actually hurting her? No. Does it potentially put her at some increased risk, as other posters pointed out? Probably. I would label this as stupid rather than abusive.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 4:49 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• NO! I mean a preteen is ike 10-12 and at 12 my daughters will be taught how to put on makeup ( the right way) and be allowe to wear heels. No belly shirts, but short shorts are fine as ling as their butt isnt showing, and skin tight clothes depends on what it is, a well fitted shirt is fine, or skinny jeans on a 12 year od is fine, but no tight little dresses. At 12 my girls will be taught to shave, war deoderant by 10, and many other things, as long as you teach them to do these things in a classy way it is acceptable. NOT abusive in any way, adn even moms who allow " unclassy" things arent abusive just lackng parental guidance!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 4:51 PM on Apr. 27, 2011