Christianity vs Islam (WARNING: Contraversial)

So I'm listening to an interview of former Muslim Abdul Saleeb (a Christian convert from Islam) and when asked about the similarities between Christians and Muslims using violence to further their religion, he says this:

"Christians have done horrible things in the name of Christ (speaking about the Crusades specifically) ... but when Christians are engaged in violence, they are betraying the teachings of Christ and the example he set for his followers, whereas when Muslims are engaged in violence, they are not only not betraying the foundation of their faith, but they are in fact fulfilling the will of God as they understand it."

Thoughts?

-Eilish-

Asked by -Eilish- at 4:25 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Not buying it..... Sorry, I know too many Muslims who are very peaceful people and in fact, lead a wonderful life.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 4:27 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• My thought is that the Crusaders thought they were fulfilling the will of God as they understood it, and had a whole list of Bible verses to back-up their opinion.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 4:28 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I'm just curious, m-avi ... have you studied Isalm or is this your impression?
    -Eilish-

Comment by -Eilish- (original poster) at 4:28 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Most of the ones who say they are fighting for the cause of Allah, have no knowledge of Islam whereas those who do have the knowledge do not fight unjustly.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 4:28 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Dr. Donna ... were the Christians during the crusades (in your opinion) misinterpreting Scripture, or is violence foundational to Christianity?
    -Eilish-

Comment by -Eilish- (original poster) at 4:29 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I don't agree with that at all. I've heard plenty of violent christians who swore up and down they were doing the will of their god...and that the bible clearly agrees with them.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 4:30 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Only the terrorist extremists tell their followers that they are carrying out the "will of God". This is not, in any way, indicative of the Muslim mainstream. That is a great, great inaccuracy.

Don't let yourself believe that propaganda. It is harmful to believe these lies.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 4:31 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Luke 19:27 "But those enemies of mine who did not want me to be king over them - bring them here and kill them in front of me."

Exodus 22:20 "He that sacrificeth unto any god, save unto the LORD only, he shall be utterly destroyed"

Deuteronomy 13:1-10 states that a person who tries to convince an Israelite to convert to another religion must be killed
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 4:37 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Oh they believed they were doing it in the name of Jesus but the sad truth is they were fed a bunch of bull and their minds were on power not their faith.
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 4:39 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I heard him speak at a church about a year ago....at least I think it is the same guy. The man I heard speaking had been a member of the Taliban before spending time in an Israeli prison and converting to Christianity. Fascinating story. If it is the same man, then from his perspective....from the point of the Taliban....then he was speaking truth.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 4:39 PM on Apr. 27, 2011