How do I get rid of adult acne?

Hi moms. I am 27 years old and I have adult acne. Its pretty bad and the acne gets big and painful like cysts and the acne that does go away leaves dark blemishes. I have tried every product and avoid any wash that might irritate might skin. I also use aveeno blemish cleanser, a lightening cream to lighten dark spots and even a precribed medication called Tretenoin cream that is specifically for acne. I wash my face 2x/day.

I'm very desperate as I have had acne since I was 19 and nothing seems to clear it! I like my face but hate my acne! It makes me feel so ugly sometimes.

kittymom83

Asked by kittymom83 at 4:45 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• This might sound so odd, but how much time are you spending in the sun. I recently had some pretty bad acne on my chest, neck shoulders and face and spent 1-2 hours outside in the sun for a few days and boom it was going away!
    Anonymous

• not much time. I heard that people with dark spots should not be in the sun too long. However, I haven't noticed the sun playing a role in my acne, what I do notice is the more products I add to my daily cleansing the more dry and irritable my skin gets and its because I don't know which "one product" is the one that helps. I'm planning on seeing my md soon so hopefully he will have some helpful advice or maybe refer me to the dermatologist, I hope.
    kittymom83

Comment by kittymom83 (original poster) at 4:52 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• You really need to treat from the inside.

Avoid dairy; it is a huge culprit when it comes to acne. You need to up your immune system; acne is a sign that your body is out of whack.

Try to do as little as possible to your skin. The more you do and the more you try to dry out your skin, the oilier it actually becomes because your body overcompensates. Make sure your products are as natural as possible; most contain harsh chemicals that will do more harm than good.
    Anonymous

• Many woman have had results using Mary Kays acne treatment which is very cost effective. Message me if you want to learn more.
    TTURNBAUGH

Answer by TTURNBAUGH at 5:03 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• i'm 27 as well...my acne gets pretty darn bad sometimes too! i usually drink tons of water everyday, multivitamins, and i have this vegetable powder to mix in my water. all these things are good for your skin. at night when i finish my shower i apply Aloe Vera gel to my face. Toothpaste has worked for my big nasty zits! put a dab on the zit before you go to bed and when you wake up wash it off.

my sister had really bad acne too. she stayed on top of the aloe vera 2x a day and her face started clearing up real nicely too. :)
    SarahM.1983

Answer by SarahM.1983 at 5:06 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Tretinoin burned the hell out of my acne-prone skin 20 years ago. You need to see a dermatologist. GPs are notoriously bad at treating acne.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 5:28 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I have tried everything, including being on Accutane years ago. I recently started trying Alba products and I'm really excited by how well they seem to be working! I started with the green tea moisturizer, and it took away all the redness in my face in just a couple of days. I liked that so much, I started adding their Acnedote drying lotion, and it's helping, too. My face has gotten clearer in the last week than it has been in a year. I just bought the astringent and scrub and I'm going to try that next. This is the first thing in a long time that has given me big results, and in a short time, too. I'm hoping it continues to work as well.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 6:34 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Try Timewise by Mary Kay I was told it was good. I would try it myself but its expensive.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 8:24 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Proactiv
    1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 2:30 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• man i know how you feel

ok this may seem crazy, but go out in the sun until you've finished drinking a gallon of water! i swear, do this daily and you should see a difference

even better would be do walk/hike while your drinking your gallon of water in the sun because the sweat cleanses you and its detoxifying!

no scrub or face wash can do anything comparable to our bodies natural way of ridding toxins!

Liz4Life

Answer by Liz4Life at 7:34 PM on Apr. 28, 2011