How to get a 7 yo girl to care about her clothes?

Ok so i am having the hardest time with my 7 year old daughter and staining her clothes at school. And i'm not talking a little spill here and there i am talking everyday it looks like she took her chocolate milk and literally poured it all over herself. Don't even get me started on ketchup. I don't understand why she does this at school she doesn't do this at home. I have tried everything to get her to stop. i just can't seem to get thru to her that this is costing me tons of money to replace these completely ruined clothes that could have been handed down to her sister!! Any advice on how to get thru to her?

amberpaiz

Asked by amberpaiz at 4:52 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• We had issues with my dd and clothes. I amde her start washing her own clothes. I taught her how to treat for stains and all. I also took her shopping with me so she could see how much money clothes cost. My kid though is a fashion freak. She loves clothes. So hers wasn't staining them....it was not bringing them down to be washed and not putting away clean clothes.

I like JoLee's suggestion too. If she only has a few clothes left then she might start taking better care of them. Or if she gets an allowance make her buy new clothes. Or tell her no chocolate milk or ketchup till she figures out how to eat right.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 4:57 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Honestly I have always lead by example,we are very neat and clean freaks....lol But I suggest taking away each stained outfit,and soon she will be down to clothes she doesnt like or even nothing, and then give them back under circumstance of taking care of them, and continue if she doesnt GOOD LUCK MOM
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 4:54 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I raised my little niece and she use to do the same thing and i got to the point i stopped buying her new cloths all the clothing she ruin with the stains and all it my seem cruel but it works all the stain clothes i made her wear it over and over until she got tired of other kids telling her about her clothes she is 9years old now and she washes and iron her clothes everynight lesson learned
    Marie111348

Answer by Marie111348 at 5:02 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• She's seven. I can't imagine a little girl having to take on the responsibility of being anything other than a little girl. That does not include worrying about if her clothes get stained or not. Let her be a kid. You can always get more clothes for the other child. It's not worth making her grow up too soon.
    Anonymous

• ok i have done the cleaning thing she does her own laundry and the pre-stain thing. And i have also shown her how much the clothes cost. And i can't use the clothes thing as a reward b/c she has to wear a uniform. She is only allowed to wear solid colors. And to the person who said let her be a kid?? are you kidding me???? i have four children and when i can't get out the stains and have to spend a good $200 a week letting her be a "kid" i think thats a little too much!!!
    amberpaiz

Comment by amberpaiz (original poster) at 7:50 PM on Apr. 27, 2011