Do people overprotect their kids?

Ok. I know the answer is yes... there are people out there who overprotect their kids. But is society as a whole to overprotective?

We used to be fiercely overprotective. But we have gotten way better. We let her walk to and from school with her friends. We let her play outside with her friends on her own. We are still very careful about what she watches on tv, who she plays with, and that kind of stuff.

I do know parents of pre-teens who don't let them outside without adult supervision. Who monitor every little thing their kids do. Who won't let them even work a microwave... My dd can work the microwave, make her own sandwiches and more.

I guess my question is are we as a whole over protecting our kids to the point that they are no longer self sufficient.

Shaken1976

Asked by Shaken1976 at 4:53 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I see it as a bell curve. There are some who don't protect them at all, a LOT of people who don't over-protect then those who do over protect.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:54 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I am very overprotective because of things that happened to me as a child that weren't of the norm. They can do things on their own but as far as going out and doing things on their own (assuming this is the correct topic you placed it in) I don't believe an 8 year-old should be walking alone without adult eyes on them even with friends and I will not allow my child to just run and play where I can not see them.
    Anonymous

• i think that we have become overprotective b/c of what it is like out there now a days. i can remember being a kid and playing hide-n-seek thru the whole neighborhood but now a days kids are getting snatched up right out of their front yards. Or getting hurt at school or shot or you name it. As a mother of four kids i worry constantly about what is going on with my kids. I think it boils down to your comfort level and how much your children pay attention to what you teach them and their maturity level.
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 4:57 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I am overprotective of my kids, but it won't be my child who is abducted on their way home from school or while at the park without adult supervision. I prefer to protect my children and keep them safe.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 4:58 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• yes, society as a whole is becoming more protective of their kids because of the growing number of molested/abducted/raped/murdered/disappearing children. however, i dont see the microwave thing as being protective, instead laziness or impatience to teach your child certain things. my oldest is only 4 and knows where dirty dishes/laundry goes, at the same time i never take my eye off her when she is running around our backyard.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:59 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• The school is about half a block away. There are a group of kids who walk together. There are adult eyes on them till they turn the corner and the baby sitter can see her walk the rest of the way.
    Shaken1976

Comment by Shaken1976 (original poster) at 5:06 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I do not think there is a such thing as being over protective, the second you let your guard down is when something happens. I'm sure we all do things that we say we shouldn't with our kids. But I'll tell you one thing I WILL NOT be that mother on the news b/c my LO drown, or got kidnapped, etc b/c I "lightened up" for a second. I realize you cannot protect your kids from everything, but I will not put them in the line of temptation either.
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 5:10 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• some people are over protective because a lot of crazy things happen these day, missing kids.
    Shanaz S.

Answer by Shanaz S. at 6:30 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I think it depends on where you live, what boundaries you place for your child. My 5yo is allowed to go outside on his own in the courtyard of our apartment complex if there are a lot of other people out. Usually I go with him, but if the bay is napping I can't. But I know that everyone here watches out for all the kids and if he gets hurt or misbehaves I hear about it right away. And I, of course do the same with the other kids when I am out. But he is learning to be independant. Will I let him go to the park or pool when he is older? Probably as long as he is with a group, checks in at preset times, and understands where he is and isn't allowed to go.
    I think if we build strong communities we can let our kids grow in a less restrictive environment.
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 7:30 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• my husband says i do he always tells me take the nip out of there mouth and let them grow up
    flipper4u21

Answer by flipper4u21 at 10:14 AM on Apr. 28, 2011