Kids birthdays

my kids are 3 and 6.

do you have a party every year for your kids? If so how old are they? If not why? The reason I ask is cause dh's aunt asked me if we have a birthday every year for the kids (which I invite her every year so not sure why she would ask she doesn;t come though) I told her yes she was like how do you afford it? I told her I get things I need a month or 2 before. She was like it must be nice poor (childs name) doesn't have one every year her mom can't afford it she is 9. I don't know I feel it is important to make there day special, but maybe that is just me even if it was a small one I would still have a party.

if you did have birthdays for your little ones when did you stop having a party for them?

last question. If your buy your child a birthday gift, but you have their party a diffrent day do you give their gift on their birthday or the day of the party? I give my kids on birthdays so even though their birthday is a week before or week later that day feels special to them

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 5:09 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in General Parenting

• Yes, I have a family party every year. I am planning DSs first birthday already. I have stocked up on decor, and will need to order food and a cake. It's not that expensive really. I LOVE BIRTHDAYS, and they all deserve celebration. DD will have her 5th birthday party this August.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 5:23 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I have a bday party every year for all 5 of my kids. My oldest turned 21 last year and we had one for her. Obviously the themes change as they get older lol. I dont think you need to take advice from said aunt. Having a birthday party does not need to be expensive. I usually spend between $250-400 per party because that is what I can afford currently. In the past during hard times I have pulled them off for under $50.
    As for gifts its a little different. Once they are old enough to decide they can have a huge party and medium gift, or small party and I spend the rest on their large gift instead. I give a small more sentimental gift on their birthdays. And regular big or medium gift they wanted at the party. For instance I got my girls bracelets with their names on it from me engraved for their last bdays. I gave it to them on their bday.

Answer by gemgem at 5:26 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• We had parties for my oldest the first 4 years of her life. That was just us and my friend and her kids. I think I invited a neighbor friend over once for my son's birthday (he was like 2 or 3 and it was spur of the moment). After that we stopped having parties. Frankly, I couldn't justify the cost when we were struggling to feed them 3 meals every day and pay our bills and I didn't have the energy to deal with it all. That was years ago. This past fall we allowed our middle dd to have her first party ever. She was turning 8 (completely unplanned...just neighborhood kids over for cake). Then this month we allowed the youngest dd to have a party for her 5th. This one I planned for 2 kids and spent like $35 on stuff at the Dollar store and Target. A bunch of other kids came but they didn't get anything.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:19 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• We celebrated with just us every year, though. We took the birthday kid out to eat as close to their birthday as we could get. They got a couple (and I mean 2) gifts and cake before bed.
    They never complained. They are 10, 9, 8 , 5 and 9 months.
    Next birthday is the oldest. She turns 11 and I said she could have her 2 friends over for a slumber party. I won't be doing decorations or party favors...just cake and ice cream, movies and Rock Band. Not planning anything for the baby. He turns 1 in July. I might invite all the neighborhood kids over for cake (they LOVE him). I also don't expect gifts from anyone at my parties. In fact, the 2 that we threw only 1 family brought gifts and they bought the stuff at Dollar Tree and I was completely surprised.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:23 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I don't always do a big party, sometimes it's just family and other times it's a class party...well at least for one DD. Of my 8 six have summer birthdays so bigger parties are kinda out of the question. The day is always celebrated, just not always in a "big" way.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 8:52 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• i have a 4 yr old, and we have a family party every year, even if we cant afford the nicest decorations/cake we will still have a party for him!! I think its important for the child, i know i loved having partys when i was a kid...we will keep having family partys until hes maybe 7ish then he can have friends over!
    lnanln2006

Answer by lnanln2006 at 11:16 AM on Apr. 28, 2011