Anyone kno much about amniocentesis?

I went to see my perinatologist for the 1st time today and she is beautiful and healthy. We discussed my C Section due to my arthritis. Basically he said that if I can go to 39 weeks then thats great, however.. if my pain becomes unbearable he will do the amniocentesis to check her lung status around 36 weeks and if they are developed then I would be going in to have the C section early.

I know what the doctor told me about the amniocentesis just kinda curious on moms who have had it done.

I am going to try my damndest to just deal with my pain try to make it to 39 weeks....but at the same time I dont want to be in so much pain where it puts stress on her and puts her at risk.

annabelle092810

Asked by annabelle092810 at 5:11 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I have read up on them and there is a good chance of miscarrying even if you are pretty far along in the pregnancy. They were debating on doing one on me because they found calcium in my daughters heart in the ultrasound, after reading up on it, I chose not to have it done because of many reasons, mostly that it is a risky procedure on the fetus. I chose that because I would have rathered having a child born with down syndrome then to make a possible situation worse or either lose my child. Thankfully My child was born and no problems. I would research it before making any decision without further education on the procedure/risks. A ultrasound should be able to moniter the development of her lungs if done routinely.
    indysownlilbit

Answer by indysownlilbit at 7:01 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I had it done and very very sadly I had a miscarriage that same day. I was carrying twins and lost them both.
    smurfyangel

Answer by smurfyangel at 6:23 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I'd see a doula or widwife who can give you some pointers on dealing with pregnancy pain. People normally use them for actual labor, but they have a wealth of knowledge about pregnancy and nursing as well.
    Good luck
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 6:57 PM on Apr. 27, 2011