How can i get my son to want to use the potty?

My son is gonna be turning 3 in a couple of months, and I have have been working with him with potty training for 4 months. He still does not want to go on the potty. He hates it. I tried doing a sticker chart and using a timer but he just does not want to go. Is this normal?

ladyb155

Asked by ladyb155 at 5:18 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• yes it's normal...all in their time. you will get different answers on this, but honestly, if you force the issue too much then it will turn him away from it. Every time you go, take him with you and say "mommy's going on the big potty"....stuff like that. my daughter is 2 1/2 and it goes in waves...sometimes she'll use it every day and evening before bath and recently she's anti potty.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 5:20 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Some boys are very reluctant to potty. Have you tried using Fruit Loops as targets in the potty. My brother really liked that as a child.
    karischub

Answer by karischub at 6:10 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I think its normal-my son has been 3 since febuary, and he still isnt interested. we've tried everytyhing. I would keep at it-if he doesnt catch on, I would stop and do it again ina few wks.
    JaydnsMom22

Answer by JaydnsMom22 at 7:43 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Thanks for the answers. That makes me feel a lot better about the whole thing. I just felt like i was doing something wrong.
    ladyb155

Comment by ladyb155 (original poster) at 7:48 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Totally normal. There's no harm in backing off and trying again in a few weeks/months too. I recommend using regular underpants when you train for day time and pull ups only at nap/night time. My boys trained very quickly for #1 at 3.5 but #2 was our real challenge. They're 4.5 now and I've finally got them both pooping on the potty. We'll attempt night training this summer I think.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 9:22 PM on Apr. 27, 2011