• In the Spotlight:

How do I get my 11 week old to fall asleep on his own?

He won't go to bed in his crib unless he is already asleep. If I set him in there, even if he is already really tired, he cries until I go and get him, then I have to rock him back to sleep. I have tried doing a routine - feeding him, rocking him, having him listen to music, it is not working. Is it just too early for this? Is he sleeping too much during the day and just not tired enough? He takes 2-3, 1-2 hour naps throughout the day.

expectoct

Asked by expectoct at 5:23 PM on Dec. 3, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Is he full when he goes to bed? Maybe try mixing a little rice cereal with his milk, to see if he sleeps better?
    Anonymous

• Is the cereal ok to do with an 11 week old?
    expectoct

Answer by expectoct at 5:58 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I did try ceeal a couple of times, but sheid away from it. I only used 2 teaspoons for 4 ounces of milk....I don't think it was enough to make a difference.
    expectoct

Answer by expectoct at 6:02 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• actually putting rice in the bottle is bad for baby's tummy. i know its been the thing to do forever but it is bad for digestion. also you baby is only 11 wks that is still pretty young to go to sleep on his own. i'd just rock him to sleep and then put him in his crib.
    sterlids

Answer by sterlids at 6:19 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Introducing solid food so prematurely also increases chances of allergies later on, and you don't want an 11-wk old with an eczema problem if it's hard enough getting baby to sleep now. For me, my baby just wants to feel warmth and know that I'm nearby. Try putting a ticking clock near his bed, because sometimes the baby confuses it for the mother's heartbeat. Swaddle him tightly to recreate the womb. Try feeding him on a pillow in my arms so that he gets aqcuainted to sleeping without direct touch. Start off with a blanket if your baby is fussy. Answer his cries at different lenghts so that he learns you are nearby even if you can't come right away. Three things seem to affect baby comfort in his crib: hunger, temperature, and cleanliness in the air. (So we got one of those purifiers just in case)
    little_kunoichi

Answer by little_kunoichi at 6:51 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Babies can aspirate and die from cereal in a botle. I wouldn't do it. It's meant to be fed on a spoon.

Get the baby full or formula/breastmilk and lay him down when he is drowsy. That should get the process of him falling asleep on his own started. It may take a while until he's used to it.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 6:53 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• This sounds horrible now but it works I swear by it and so did my mother and hers too. As long as he is fed, dry, and not sick. Basically as long as you know he's absolutely tired and nothing else is wrong with him!!! Put him in his crib and let him cry. It will NOT traumatize him as some people say it would and as well it will teach him to be a little independent when it comes time for him to start playing, especially if he's an only child. And I also did put some cereal in the bottle in the morning and right before bedtime at night. Both of my girls slept through the night. My oldest started this routine when she was 2 weeks old and is ABSOLUTELY FINE!!!
    watersgirls

Answer by watersgirls at 4:48 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• She has slept through the night except if she were sick since then. You will need to keep this consistent. Babies are EXTREMELY SMART, even at that age and people don't give them that credit. If you give in even once he will learn that the longer he cries that he will be picked up. REMEMBER THIS IS JUST MY ADVICE AND IT WORKS I SWEAR!!!
    watersgirls