When did your kids stop sleeping in your bed?

My son is 7mo & he still sleeps in bed with me & my husband. I try to put him in his bed, but he crys all night. What is the cut off point, if there is one?:) Its got to the point where my husband & I sneak out of bed & have "alone time" in our guest room or living room! Just wanted to see how old your child(ren) were when they stopped sleeping with you?

king0913

Asked by king0913 at 5:24 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in General Parenting

• my son is 2 1/2 and he still sleeps with us, kids are only kids once and its something you cant EVER get back so i take advantage of any cuddle time i can get, i love my little man :)
    martinsmom2008

Answer by martinsmom2008 at 5:51 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• We have always coslept. My kids move into their beds when they are ready. I have had some of them stay with me 3-4 yrs (not every night per say). By the time they got to around 4-5 they didnt want to sleep with us anyway. We never stressed about it.

Answer by gemgem at 5:30 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Actually...good doctors recommend co-sleeping to lower SIDS and to help with breastfeeding. Co-sleeping and bedsharing are two different things.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:48 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Our children never slept in the bed with us. They slept in a cradle right beside me until they were 3 or 4 months old. They were then moved to their cribs in their rooms where they slept very well. They were allowed to get into our bed in the mornings on week-ends to snuggle. They are fine, well-adjusted adults today!!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:27 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• My daughter is 2 1/2 and sleeps with us...well my hubby is at work all the time so with me :) I don't mind it. Here come the thumbs down. lol!!
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 5:31 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I haven't ever had a problem with this. my kids are 6 and 3 and sleep in their own bed. My oldest slept with me once in a while until she was 6 months. If I didn't have her sleep with us she would sleep in her crib with no problem I just liked sleeping with her. My youngest only slept with me 3 times first 2 were under 3 months and the 3rd time was a month ago when she had stitches put in I had her sleep with is so that she wouldn't pull them out or bump it she slept by herself the next day with no problems.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 5:35 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• We never allowed it. They slept in a bassinet next to the bed until they were mostly sleeping through the night then went to a pack n play across the room and (other than the last 2) went to their own room at 6-7 months. The 4th one was in our room until 16 months because of space issues and the last one is 9 months and still in our room because I don't want him waking his older brother (9) if he starts fussing.
    We never allow the kids in our bed. If they are sick they sleep on the living room floor with one of us (usually my husband) on the couch. Our room is strictly off limits to them.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:10 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• My son slept with my from birth until way older than most kids simply because we didn't have the room. He would have been fine on his own around 5 I suppose. He had no issues going to spend the night with a friend at 5, so, it didn't harm him in any way. He is 15 and you'd never know he co-slept for as long as he did. BTW, he was 12 before he had his own room. He was 7 when we got bunk beds. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:44 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• We coslept purposely and our children were about 3-5 years old when they chose to leave our room. They moved to a room where they slept with each other instead of us. We too snuck out and found other creative ways for "alone" time. Just part of the lifestyle we chose for our family.
    Anonymous

• Boy is it going to be hard to get him into his own bed ! Maybe you could try a twin size bed with a toddler bed rail and have him fall asleep with you next to him... then eventually maybe he can sleep there on his own?
    Gnomes

Answer by Gnomes at 5:32 PM on Apr. 27, 2011